WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody & Support > Do I legally have to tell ex-spouse where I live (Street Address)?

Do I legally have to tell ex-spouse where I live (Street Address)?

This is a discussion on Do I legally have to tell ex-spouse where I live (Street Address)? within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; Do I legally have to tell ex-spouse where I live? Divorced 1/2 yr. Do I legally need to provide my ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #1
Fawn2010's Flag is: United States

Default Do I legally have to tell ex-spouse where I live (Street Address)?

1. Do I legally have to tell ex-spouse where I live?
    Divorced 1/2 yr. Do I legally need to provide my home address to my ex-spouse? He knows the town/school where we live. I am afraid for my safety and do not want unplanned "surprise" unannounced visits by Ex.
    Ex has set visitation schedule with our child that they are happy with, but states that he has a legal right to know where his child lives. I do not have a restraining order and don't feel comfortable at this time telling him where we live. I fear for my safety now and in the future, due to his instability, outbursts of anger and strange erratic behavior. He can see his child whenever he likes. Am I breaking his rights as a father to know "exactly" where his child is living? I did not have to give him my home address during the divorce proceedings. I will abide by the letter of the law and need something to back up my right to privacy.
Fawn2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Doing business in China? Need legal help or advice? Contact our international and Chinese lawyers 24 hours! WORLD Law Direct offers an experienced team of American and Chinese legal professionals.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Do I legally have to tell ex-spouse where I live (Street Address)?

Yes you do have to let him know where you live.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #3
Unregistered

If you are that afraid of him, you might want to consider a restraining order. In that way, your right to privacy will be protected to some extent.

Keep in mind that if a person wants to know something or do something badly enough, there really is no surefire way to stop them.

There really is no law that states a parent has to know where the other parent lives. If he's currently able to have visitation as the result of a scheduled pickup somewhere other than your residence, that's all he is required to know.

No, there is no law that states you must tell him your physical address.

Old Nov 29th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes you do have to let him know where you live.
Wrong. She does not. No law states any such thing. If you know of one, please cite it.

Old Nov 29th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Unregistered

...however Dad could very easily go to court and have the court order Mom to give Dad the address of where his child resides as part of their custody/visitation orders.

Not uncommon at all.

Old Nov 29th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #6
Unregistered

You say it's not uncommon, but I've sat in on family court proceedings on a regular basis and not once as that issue ever arisen.

Courts are compelled to protect individual's privacy especially when safety and fear are concerned.

This guy will be unsuccessful IF he actually take the initiative to petition the court to order her to provide her physical address.

Once again, as long as he has reasonable access to his kid, that is all he is privileged to have. That means he picks the kid up at, lets say, daycare, or school, and drops off at the same. Of Gram and Gramp do the pickups and drop offs, or Mom and Dad meet at the local police station (which is where she should be meeting him for exchanges).

That's IT. She is NOT required (nor will any judge actually order it) to provide him her physical location. It doesn't matter that the child resides there. She has the right to protect herself from harm.

Old Nov 29th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #7
Unregistered

Quote:
You say it's not uncommon, but I've sat in on family court proceedings on a regular basis and not once as that issue ever arisen.

Courts are compelled to protect individual's privacy especially when safety and fear are concerned.

This guy will be unsuccessful IF he actually take the initiative to petition the court to order her to provide her physical address.

Once again, as long as he has reasonable access to his kid, that is all he is privileged to have. That means he picks the kid up at, lets say, daycare, or school, and drops off at the same. Of Gram and Gramp do the pickups and drop offs, or Mom and Dad meet at the local police station (which is where she should be meeting him for exchanges).

That's IT. She is NOT required (nor will any judge actually order it) to provide him her physical location. It doesn't matter that the child resides there. She has the right to protect herself from harm.

I'm sitting here looking at my visitation order. My ex is REQUIRED to provide me - not just the court - of the physical address of where my child is residing.

I could understand it if there was an RO in place, or there was actually evidence of DV but since there is neither...

Old Nov 29th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #8
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm sitting here looking at my visitation order. My ex is REQUIRED to provide me - not just the court - of the physical address of where my child is residing.

I could understand it if there was an RO in place, or there was actually evidence of DV but since there is neither...
Without embellishing, please quote EXACTLY how that's worded. You can argue this until you are blue in the face but the fact remains there is no law that requires one parent to provide the physical address of where they live to the other. None. I highly doubt your court order actually says "both parties MUST provide each other physical addresses." I HIGHLY doubt that.

Old Nov 29th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #9
Unregistered

Quote:
Without embellishing, please quote EXACTLY how that's worded. You can argue this until you are blue in the face but the fact remains there is no law that requires one parent to provide the physical address of where they live to the other. None. I highly doubt your court order actually says "both parties MUST provide each other physical addresses." I HIGHLY doubt that.

"XY shall be the primary residential parent and shall furnish XX with the address where Little X will reside"

Did you misread, incidentally? You put words into my mouth - post - which weren't actually typed. Not by me anyway.

First, I didn't say there was a law requiring it. Second, I didn't say our CO said "both parties MUST provide each other physical addresses".

Doubt it as much as you like. I'm the one lookin' at the court order

Old Nov 29th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #10
Unregistered

Are you in Delaware because my bf's ex also has to tell him where she lives!

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 7025 times