How to get child support from father not on birth certificate?

This is a discussion on How to get child support from father not on birth certificate? within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; My husband has a son in Mississippi who is 5 years old now. When he was born, his mother was ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 04:50 PM   #1
Srene85's Flag is: United States

Default How to get child support from father not on birth certificate?

My husband has a son in Mississippi who is 5 years old now. When he was born, his mother was married to someone else (not my husband), so she put her husband on the birth certificate as the father. My husband was there for the birth, yet she denied him the right to be his father pretty much.

My question is...now she all of a sudden wants support and says she is gettig a DNA test to get it started. What all does she have to do? Doesn't she have to have the name changed on the birth certificate as far as the father? Does my husband have no rights? She hasn't wanted him to be involved in any way and he is an awesome father! (we have three children together...all babies). How much do they take into account children in the home? He is also paying $460 to twins in Hawaii that he has never seen in his life and are now 8 years old. The mothers have never let him be involved or want it...they just want in his pocketbook.
Srene85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Top crime attorneys
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 09:32 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: How to get child support from father not on birth certificate?

I wish to inform you that if a child is born when the person is married then the child is presumed to be the child of the husband of the mother. In this regard, unless it has been proved in court that child does not belong to the husband; the husband will be treated as the father of the child and the name of the husband will appear on the birth certificate. Further, after the court has passed order regarding the fact that husband of the mother is not the father of the child then biological father may be liable for child support. In this regard, court will order paternity test and after biological father is proved in court to be father of the child he may be liable for child support. At that stage, the biological father can also claim child custody and child visitation rights. The court will decide the matter in the best interests of the child.

AFF

Last edited by AFFA; Oct 22nd, 2010 at 03:25 AM.
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 09:36 PM   #3
Top Level Member
sunlover's Flag is: United States

AFFA is the child was born "during" the wedding they would likely stop the cermony!
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 10:20 AM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srene85 View Post
My husband has a son in Mississippi who is 5 years old now. When he was born, his mother was married to someone else (not my husband), so she put her husband on the birth certificate as the father. My husband was there for the birth, yet she denied him the right to be his father pretty much.

My question is...now she all of a sudden wants support and says she is gettig a DNA test to get it started. What all does she have to do? Doesn't she have to have the name changed on the birth certificate as far as the father? Does my husband have no rights? She hasn't wanted him to be involved in any way and he is an awesome father! (we have three children together...all babies). How much do they take into account children in the home? He is also paying $460 to twins in Hawaii that he has never seen in his life and are now 8 years old. The mothers have never let him be involved or want it...they just want in his pocketbook.
Your husband has twins he's never met who are 8 years old, and he has a child who is 5 years old he does not support or have a relationship with, AND he has THREE children with you - all under the age of 5. That's 6 children in 8 short years.

Perhaps he either needs to get a vasectomy or get some counseling on how to refrain from having sex with women who he has no intention of sticking around to raise babies with.

In the meantime, if a DNA test comes back positive, proving he's the father, he may or may not be ordered to pay child support if the woman's husband has been the child's father all this time and presumedly raising the child financially. Your husband would be wise to seek counsel.

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 4961 times