WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody & Support > Parent with joint custody refuses to give prescribed medication for ADHD to child.

Parent with joint custody refuses to give prescribed medication for ADHD to child.

This is a discussion on Parent with joint custody refuses to give prescribed medication for ADHD to child. within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; My 8 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 3. I have had him on an ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #1
Unregistered

Unhappy Parent with joint custody refuses to give prescribed medication for ADHD to child.

My 8 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 3. I have had him on an effective medication that has showed great improvemets in him both at home and at school. He father hasn't always been an active part of his life in the past but within the last 2 years he has been more active in his life. We recently agreed on a joint custody agreement. My son lives with me for 6 months and with his father for 6 months. He is currently with his father until January. at the end of last school year I reluctantly decided to take my son off of his medication to see if he could get along with out it. Because his father absolutely refuses that he needs medication. He says that it is just the doctors, and teachers way of dealing with an unruly kid. He also believes the the Diagnosis is not a real issue. Help Please!! My son needs his meds but his father refuses to give it to him reguardless of what the teachers and doctors tell him. What can I do?
Sponsored Links
Top crime attorneys
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default re: Parent with joint custody refuses to give prescribed medication for ADHD to child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My 8 year old son was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 3. I have had him on an effective medication that has showed great improvemets in him both at home and at school. He father hasn't always been an active part of his life in the past but within the last 2 years he has been more active in his life. We recently agreed on a joint custody agreement. My son lives with me for 6 months and with his father for 6 months. He is currently with his father until January. at the end of last school year I reluctantly decided to take my son off of his medication to see if he could get along with out it. Because his father absolutely refuses that he needs medication. He says that it is just the doctors, and teachers way of dealing with an unruly kid. He also believes the the Diagnosis is not a real issue. Help Please!! My son needs his meds but his father refuses to give it to him reguardless of what the teachers and doctors tell him. What can I do?
There is no such thing as ahdh in a child of 3. It's just a marketing ploy. Most likely the child is either suffering a food allergy or parental discord.

I commend the father for being intelligent enough to realize the medical community is looking for younger and younger lifelong patients. He's smart. You'd be wise to smarten up yourself.

Did you have "ahdh" when you were a child? Think about it. Use the brain that was given to you.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #3
Top Level Member

Default re: Parent with joint custody refuses to give prescribed medication for ADHD to child.

If you desperately want to continue the medication by your father then you will have to talk to him and convince him. It will be wise for you to get opinions of the medical experts regarding ADHD and the necessity of its medications. As you said you took off his medications last year, and if he is fine without those medications then there is no issue. And your kid is badly in need of those medications and the father refuses to give him the medicine, thereby putting the child in immediate danger (that is the kid is in a condition of rushing to hospital), then only you can approach the Court for modification of custody.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
If you desperately want to continue the medication by your father then you will have to talk to him and convince him. It will be wise for you to get opinions of the medical experts regarding ADHD and the necessity of its medications. As you said you took off his medications last year, and if he is fine without those medications then there is no issue. And your kid is badly in need of those medications and the father refuses to give him the medicine, thereby putting the child in immediate danger (that is the kid is in a condition of rushing to hospital), then only you can approach the Court for modification of custody.
There is no "immediate danger" of not drugging a CHILD up with "ADHD" medication. It's amazing how so many people don't seem to be able to comprehend how the pharmaceutical companies are in cahoots with the medical profession to get kids hooked on drugs for life.

NO child on this planet needs such drugs and any parent who gives their child such drugs is a negligent parent.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Unregistered

Quote:
__________________________________________________ ________________________
Please find out what conditions in father's dampen the symptons. There MUST be a reason father is NOT giving the medication and not believing the doctor's diagnosis. Specially ask your Ex and your son following questions:
(1) What food (lunch/dinner/snacks) do you eat and how many times ?
(2) Sleep times: What time do you go to bed and what time do you wake up ?
(3) What games do you play and how much physical excercise do you get ?
(4) What time do you do your homework ?

Try and maintain consistancy between homes, maybe you don't need to medicate your child either.

Note: Just google "side effects" for the medication you are giving him and then you will know.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old May 7th, 2011, 06:59 PM   #6
AmberRenee

Default Re: Parent with joint custody refuses to give prescribed medication for ADHD to child

Quote:

GOOD FOR YOU HAVING YOUR SON TREATED!! My kids are on medicatin for ADHD and it took a year for the doctor to prescribe medication for this. Their father refuses to give them medication and has instructed the children to pretend to take meds and spit it out in the toilet. I am fed up! I am looking into going to court for this as my kids are doing much better on the medication and I am the parent around them 95% of the time (he gets them every other weekend and that is it!)

Old Jun 8th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #7
Unregistered

Default Re: Parent with joint custody refuses to give prescribed medication for ADHD to child

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberRenee View Post
GOOD FOR YOU HAVING YOUR SON TREATED!! My kids are on medicatin for ADHD and it took a year for the doctor to prescribe medication for this. Their father refuses to give them medication and has instructed the children to pretend to take meds and spit it out in the toilet. I am fed up! I am looking into going to court for this as my kids are doing much better on the medication and I am the parent around them 95% of the time (he gets them every other weekend and that is it!)
I agree with you, I am in the same situation as you are. The medicine is helping tremendously and no side effects are occuring. email me and we can chat. mpaugh2@yahoo.com

Old Jun 8th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #8
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberRenee View Post
At least they have one smart parent who knows that the pharmaceutical companies make up "diseases" to get children hooked on drugs so they'll make more money over a longer period of that child's life. Children who "need" medication need more as they get older. I don't blame him for refusing to drug his kids up.

Frankly, I'd be exploring safer, more natural alternatives than dosing my children with prescription drugs. ALL of which has side effects - many life threatening and deadly.

Old Feb 26th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #9
Unregistered

Im sorry if i offend any of you but im a RN and all of this crap about giving kids ADHD medication is Just crap . Grow up learn how to raise your kids and be the parent that you should be NO Child need medication just GOOD parents its Obvious that if you think your child need meds than you proably are on them your self. and think thats the way to handel life . were your kids born with a pill bottle in thier hand . No i dont think so. LEARN how to be a parent take a class for god sake its peole like you that havel all of our kids on drugs and in jail. Get a LIfe .and let your kids be kids want a robot buy one dont have kids . no child is perfect. they are just learning who they are .

Old Feb 27th, 2012, 02:01 AM   #10
porthole11's Flag is: Canada

EEK! Re: Parent with joint custody refuses to give prescribed medication for ADHD to child

Quote:
Im sorry if i offend any of you but im a RN and all of this crap about giving kids ADHD medication is Just crap . Grow up learn how to raise your kids and be the parent that you should be NO Child need medication just GOOD parents its Obvious that if you think your child need meds than you proably are on them your self. and think thats the way to handel life . were your kids born with a pill bottle in thier hand . No i dont think so. LEARN how to be a parent take a class for god sake its peole like you that havel all of our kids on drugs and in jail. Get a LIfe .and let your kids be kids want a robot buy one dont have kids . no child is perfect. they are just learning who they are .

yes ritilan is a no-no unless you have a real problem child but most cases its the food like Red dyes in drinks and sugar ect.

and the long term side effects are there too.

I'm thinking just say no, till you tried everything else like Elteanine from tea ect. ect.
porthole11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 5520 times