Boyfriend was arrested for nonpayment of child support

This is a discussion on Boyfriend was arrested for nonpayment of child support within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; As of Thursday of this past week my boyfriend was arrested for nonpayment of child support. He is only a ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #1
Blueeyes26's Flag is: United States

Unhappy Boyfriend was arrested for nonpayment of child support

As of Thursday of this past week my boyfriend was arrested for nonpayment of child support. He is only a couple months behind it. He has never been in jail before, so he is waiting to see a judge. For the three or four days that he has been in jail he hasn't been released in to "population" they still have him in a waiting cell; and he also doesn't have a bond set. Because he is not even close to being three thousand dollars behind in child support do you think he could be released on his own recognizance? I know nothing about the law system, so any help someone could give would be greatly appreciated. By the way this is in the state of Louisiana.
Blueeyes26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Top crime attorneys
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #2
Blueeyes26's Flag is: United States

Default re: Boyfriend was arrested for nonpayment of child support

Can anyone reply on any information that they know? I know the laws vary by state
Blueeyes26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: Boyfriend was arrested for nonpayment of child support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueeyes26 View Post
As of Thursday of this past week my boyfriend was arrested for nonpayment of child support. He is only a couple months behind it. He has never been in jail before, so he is waiting to see a judge. For the three or four days that he has been in jail he hasn't been released in to "population" they still have him in a waiting cell; and he also doesn't have a bond set. Because he is not even close to being three thousand dollars behind in child support do you think he could be released on his own recognizance? I know nothing about the law system, so any help someone could give would be greatly appreciated. By the way this is in the state of Louisiana.
No he won't be released on his own recognizance. Once he finally sees a judge they will set a court date, usually after he's been locked up for no less than 30 days. At the court date they may require him to come up with $100 to half of what he owes as a purge to release him. If he doesn't have that amt. he will go back to jail until that amt. is paid. Once that is paid, there will be another trial for him where they will place the remaining of what he owes in arrearages. This will have to be added to what he already pays per month until it is caught up.
I was just in a similar situation with my bf a few months ago. Good luck!

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2134 times