WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody & Support > Florida: Signing Rights Over. Child Support. Child's best Intrest.

Florida: Signing Rights Over. Child Support. Child's best Intrest.

This is a discussion on Florida: Signing Rights Over. Child Support. Child's best Intrest. within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I have only seen my son 2 in 5 years. He hates me. I would like to sign my rights ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 12:36 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Florida: Signing Rights Over. Child Support. Child's best Intrest.

I have only seen my son 2 in 5 years. He hates me. I would like to sign my rights away, only beacuse I dont like that my son in emotionally hurt by his mother not allowing me to see him. I am behind on child support only because I have had no job and cant even feed myself most days.

The other thing that bothers me is that she has moved 10 times in three years creating a very unstable home for my son and the other two children. The man she is in a relationship with has been in prision several times because he is a drug dealer and abuser. The last time I seen my son he was cussing and was telling me all about sexual things that she had told him.

I dont know what to do. I dont want my son living in that, but I cant help him and he hates me. What do I do? How can I sign my rights away in the state of Florida? What can I do about her?
Sponsored Links
Doing business in China? Need legal help or advice? Contact our international and Chinese lawyers 24 hours! WORLD Law Direct offers an experienced team of American and Chinese legal professionals.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 03:46 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Florida: Signing Rights Over. Child Support. Child's best Intrest.

I wish to inform you that you may sign the termination of your rights over the child and then your parental rights will terminate. In this case, you may not exercise your parental rights and may even not be liable to pay child support if the rights are being relinquished so that child may be taken up in adoption. In this regard, a petition may be filed in court and court will decide after looking at best interest of child. Alternatively you may also seek child custody on the ground that best interest of child is served if child is living with you. You may show to court that child is living with a person who has been in prison and it will be in the best interest of the child if child lives with you.

AFF

Last edited by AFFA; Aug 7th, 2010 at 08:59 AM.
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Unregistered

Please ignore Affa's grossly erroneous "advice". He leads one to believe its easy to just terminate your own rights and magically stop having to financially support your children. Terminating parental rights is not as easy as people believe.

It's difficult to believe that men still think if only they terminate their rights they won't have to pay child support anymore. It's not as simple as that. Just because a man is too weak willed to fight for their children, doesn't mean they didn't help bring them into the world and are legally obligated to financially support them so us taxpayers don't have to.

Firstly, judges rarely, if ever, terminate parental rights. Secondly, even when they do, child support does not stop. You are still financially obligated to help pay for your children, whether you want to be a father or not.

You can't sign away your own rights. A judge has to determine that. It's highly unlikely you will be successful in your endeavor.

Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 08:19 AM   #4
5weet's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Please ignore Affa's grossly erroneous "advice". He leads one to believe its easy to just terminate your own rights and magically stop having to financially support your children. Terminating parental rights is not as easy as people believe.

It's difficult to believe that men still think if only they terminate their rights they won't have to pay child support anymore. It's not as simple as that. Just because a man is too weak willed to fight for their children, doesn't mean they didn't help bring them into the world and are legally obligated to financially support them so us taxpayers don't have to.

Firstly, judges rarely, if ever, terminate parental rights. Secondly, even when they do, child support does not stop. You are still financially obligated to help pay for your children, whether you want to be a father or not.

You can't sign away your own rights. A judge has to determine that. It's highly unlikely you will be successful in your endeavor.
.. ok I was in the same situation I had a son that I couldn't take care of I don't do drugs or drink heck I don't even smoke I just couldn't take care of him so my parents did. I couldn't find work and I had child support that I was behind in. My son was 3 when my mother & father wanted to adopt him so I went down to the Pinellas court house and talked to a public defender about signing over my rights or terminating them. I had to go to court to have my rights terminated by a judge who did so than I got a copy of the termination and had the defender call child support to verify my rights was terminated to my son and that my parents adopt him. After showing them the paper I was NO longer responsible to pay child support from that day on they said to me that it was my mother & father's responsibility now. How ever the 3 years before all this happened I had to do .payback child support but it was only $3,000 dollars. After that I was no longer getting mail requests to pay child support no papers no calls nothing it was all over and I'm in Florida so this can happen. If you still get changed for child support after all this because it does happen it happen to my friend she had her rights terminated and for years she was charged after the little girl was adopted.claiming that the child support office never got the information or the paper work of the adoption. Well she had to take the child support to court to stop them from charging her anymore and show the judge that the girl was adopted and the judge ordered the child support office to stop all payments from the time the little girl was adopted. Like me if there was any back child support she had to pay that back but didn't have anything to pay back. I was told by the judge once a child is adopted from that adoption on you don't have to pay anymore child support it's no longer your responsibility but the person who adopted the child. My friend and I was both told that she just had to take hers a little further and go to court. So if your still charged after your rights terminated and you have already told the child support office and papers were proven of adoption you might do what my friend did and take child support to court. And I know someone is going to say this is not true but how do they know were they in the court room with me and my parents No.. were they there when my friend had to take child support to court to stop them from continuing to charge her for child support after the adoption years after. No they weren't people just don't know what your situation is or how it's going to be handled some people are just pissed off and say No you can't or this is how it's going to go down but they don't know they don't know at all. So do what you have to do ever situation is different. Good luck.
5weet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 2nd, 2014, 09:23 AM   #5
Top Level Member
goddessoflubboc's Flag is: United States

This is a 4 year old thread however I think it's important for anyone reading to see the difference. The OP on this thread so long ago was asking about giving up his rights. The only way that would happen is if there was a step parent ready to adopt. Clearly there wasn't. Judges don't leave children fatherless - it's against public policy. So then we are just talking about him choosing not to be involved in his child's life. Fine, but you are still financially responsible.

5weet is talking about cases where the children were ADOPTED. In that case yes, child support ends the day of adoption bc your parenthood ends that day. Totally different situation.
goddessoflubboc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 3rd, 2014, 07:35 AM   #6
Top Level Member

You can't. The only way to do so is to have someone adopt your child and to have your parental rights terminated. Further, you cannot just sign over your rights to end child support. If you get time with the child your support may go down. If you want, you can file a petition for modification of child custody and support. The main concern should be the best interest of the child. You may also approach CPS if you believe that your child is not safe with his mother. Contact an attorney to assist you.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 7472 times