Child quit school, now what with child support?

This is a discussion on Child quit school, now what with child support? within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I just found out TODAY that my 16 yr old son quit school the day after he turned 16, which ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 10:55 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Child quit school, now what with child support?

I just found out TODAY that my 16 yr old son quit school the day after he turned 16, which was in January of this year. I have been paying child support however the orders state that if he quits school, the support stops. So his mom has been collecting my $750 a month since January illegally.
How do I stop this?? Can I get a refund of overpayment? What will they do to his mom for not informing me when our son quit school? She KNEW she would still get that money if I didn't know he had quit.
I called her and spoke to her just a few minutes this morning, and she was fuming mad not that our son has quit school, but that I found out. She said "Who told you?". After speaking to my son, he admitted he quit in January and that his mother knew.
We are in NC.
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default re: Child quit school, now what with child support?

It's interesting that, rather than co-parent with you, this woman chose to hide from you the fact that your son quit school, and actually became mad that you found out.

File a petition to have child support dropped and ask the court to re-compensate you. She had no business receiving any money if the court order was only in effect if the child remained in school.

What will they do to her? Absolutely nothing. Women are never punished for their atrocities in family court. They are rewarded for behavior. The most the court will do will be to order a refund, but don't expect it to be in the full amount. It will likely only be partial.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Unregistered

Confused Re: Child quit school, now what with child support?

HELP!! My 18 yr old son has moved out but my younger still lives with my ex. I too have been paying for the past 6 months but because my divorce decree does not have a separate amount for each child I have not been able to get any answers on how to reduce payments. I have tried the Father's Coalition, and State Legal Aid office and both have basically told me I am up a creek because I cannot afford an attorney. I can barely make my payments and sometimes can only make half. What can I do if the only court documents I have been given will not allow for emancipation unless the amounts are separate for my two children on the divorce decree???

Old Aug 4th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #4
Unregistered

Default Re: Child quit school, now what with child support?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
HELP!! My 18 yr old son has moved out but my younger still lives with my ex. I too have been paying for the past 6 months but because my divorce decree does not have a separate amount for each child I have not been able to get any answers on how to reduce payments. I have tried the Father's Coalition, and State Legal Aid office and both have basically told me I am up a creek because I cannot afford an attorney. I can barely make my payments and sometimes can only make half. What can I do if the only court documents I have been given will not allow for emancipation unless the amounts are separate for my two children on the divorce decree???
First things first,
go to the court house, ask for papers to file for a modification in child support...ASAP! Fill out the papers, the circumstances to modify it would be that your son is now of legal age, 18, and no child support is needed because he no longer lives with the mother.
You can't get the back money that you paid, of course, but you will be paying substantially less. It is the father's job to file to stop the child support. It won't stop unless you file in the courts.

Old Jun 4th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #5
Unregistered

Default Re: Child quit school, now what with child support?

if both parents knew that child was not in school and the child was 16yrs than now they 17 and the child had child support card what will they do in a situation like this and to the parent that the card was in their name but did not spend none of the money of the childs but the father want to drop child support now

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 4280 times