Texas: Do I have visitation rights as an aunt?

This is a discussion on Texas: Do I have visitation rights as an aunt? within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I am from Texas, but last year I went away to college in California. I recently came back for summer ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 03:58 AM   #1
Unregistered

Unhappy Texas: Do I have visitation rights as an aunt?

I am from Texas, but last year I went away to college in California. I recently came back for summer vacation, so I could visit with my nieces and nephews. My sister's children were removed from her care and custody was granted to my niece's paternal grandparents. In addition to my niece, they have guardianship over my nephew . All I want to do is see my babies. My sister has visitations, but she's less than reliable, and hasn't seen the children in months. She is unable to make any visitations during my visit. I have pleaded with the grandparents to allow me to visit with the children, but they refuse. I love them more than anything on this earth, and I can't bear being without them. Is there anyway I can legally force them to allow me to see the kids? Do I have any rights? Also, I'm not sure if it's relevant, but during the custody battle the lady in charge of assessing where the kids would be best off said they would probably thrive most under my care (unfortunately I feel I am too young to undertake 2 kids), and I truly am a good person. I am also very cordial with the grandparents, and there has never been any issues between us. I have a perfect record, I am on the dean's list at school, and the only thing I am guilty of is loving those kids with everything in me. Please, please, please, help me.
Sponsored Links
Top crime attorneys
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 06:16 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Texas: Do I have visitation rights as an aunt?

Aunts have no rights. The parents are the only two who do. There's nothing you can do. Detach. You can't do anything legally to "make" them allow you to see the children.

You want to see these children because you love them more than anything else in the world, and yet you feel you are too young to raise them. That's quite the contradiction. You are proving that your needs come before anyone else's and it's probably best you are being kept from them. Their needs come first. You had your chance to get custody and you didn't want it. Move on. Grow up and when you are "ready", have your own children.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #3
Unregistered

No you don't have any legal rights as their aunt.............however.......................
You could send them cards, letters and presents to let them know you love them and always will. If they get returned to sender to you, keep them each time this happens. In years to come, when the children are of legal age, you can then let them know that you have always loved them and tried to see them but were kept from them. Show them the proof (the returned cards and letters).
I know it is hard, believe me. My wife took our child when she was 2 and I wasn't allowed to see her or have contact with her. They told her I was dead. I sent cards, letters and presents, all of which were returned each and every time. I have a large box full of items like this. I found her on facebook (my daughter) and made contact with her. We have since seen each other, she has gotten my side of the story, and saw that with the proof of items in the box I had saved that I never stopped loving her all those years. We now have a great relationship and her and her husband are expecting my first grandchild near Christmas. They live just down the road from me, not in New York where her mother resides.
good luck!

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am from Texas, but last year I went away to college in California. I recently came back for summer vacation, so I could visit with my nieces and nephews. My sister's children were removed from her care and custody was granted to my niece's paternal grandparents. In addition to my niece, they have guardianship over my nephew . All I want to do is see my babies. My sister has visitations, but she's less than reliable, and hasn't seen the children in months. She is unable to make any visitations during my visit. I have pleaded with the grandparents to allow me to visit with the children, but they refuse. I love them more than anything on this earth, and I can't bear being without them. Is there anyway I can legally force them to allow me to see the kids? Do I have any rights? Also, I'm not sure if it's relevant, but during the custody battle the lady in charge of assessing where the kids would be best off said they would probably thrive most under my care (unfortunately I feel I am too young to undertake 2 kids), and I truly am a good person. I am also very cordial with the grandparents, and there has never been any issues between us. I have a perfect record, I am on the dean's list at school, and the only thing I am guilty of is loving those kids with everything in me. Please, please, please, help me.
and btw these are not YOUR babies. you are their aunt NOT their mother. and you have no rights to these children at all

Old Jul 14th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #5
Unregistered

Quote:
Aunts have no rights. The parents are the only two who do. There's nothing you can do. Detach. You can't do anything legally to "make" them allow you to see the children.

You want to see these children because you love them more than anything else in the world, and yet you feel you are too young to raise them. That's quite the contradiction. You are proving that your needs come before anyone else's and it's probably best you are being kept from them. Their needs come first. You had your chance to get custody and you didn't want it. Move on. Grow up and when you are "ready", have your own children.
I'm 18 and I have absolutely no means to raise them. When I made my decision it was for them. I plan on fighting for custody of the children as soon as I can give them a backyard to play in and food to put inside their bellies.

Old Jul 14th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #6
Unregistered

You stand little to no chance of getting custody of the children. They are in the legal custody of someone else now, and to keep uprooting them from home to home is not in their best interest. The best you can do at this time is just be there for them and try to be as nice as possible to the legal guardians. Perhaps they will change their minds about you seeing them.

A court might allow you some visitation but that is a long shot.

Old Feb 20th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #7
Unregistered

Don't listen to the idiot who is telling you that you have no rights. They probably have a miserable life and like to make others the same. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THEY'RE HER KIDS!!!!!!SHE STILL LOVES THEM AND THEY ARE STILL HER BABIES!!!!!....

Old Feb 20th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #8
Unregistered

Confused Re: Texas: Do I have visitation rights as an aunt?

Quote:
Don't listen to the idiot who is telling you that you have no rights. They probably have a miserable life and like to make others the same. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THEY'RE HER KIDS!!!!!!SHE STILL LOVES THEM AND THEY ARE STILL HER BABIES!!!!!....
No, by all means don't listen to the idiot that gave you legal advice on here,
listen to the idiot that posted the above message.
This forum is for legal advice, not for what you feel, who you love, etc.

Old Feb 21st, 2011, 09:42 AM   #9
Unregistered

Quote:
No, by all means don't listen to the idiot that gave you legal advice on here,
listen to the idiot that posted the above message.
This forum is for legal advice, not for what you feel, who you love, etc.
Exactly.

Ever notice the people on here who throw the word "idiot" around so freely aren't exactly the Einstein's of the world?

I think there may be some projection going on.

Old Feb 22nd, 2011, 11:03 AM   #10
Unregistered

Quote:
no legally they are not HER BABIES. SHE IS NOT THEIR MOTHER. AND NO MATTER HOW MUCH SHE LOVES THEM, LIKE I SAID BEFORE SHE HAS NO RIGHTS TO SOMEONE ELSES KIDS. PERIOD

Bookmark & Share

Tags
aunt's rights, family law, visitations

This thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 5083 times