Permission for minor child to live with another family

This is a discussion on Permission for minor child to live with another family within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; Divorced 1991. Joint custody 2 daughters now 13 and 15. Ex lives out of state with kids. 15yr old has ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Permission for minor child to live with another family

Divorced 1991. Joint custody 2 daughters now 13 and 15. Ex lives out of state with kids. 15yr old has become major problem and the ex no longer wants custody or for my 15yr old to live with her any longer. A Lady who met my daughter through her daughter at school has offered to take my daughter in and raise her as her own. She believes because of her past experience with her own problem children who are now grown and going to college, that she can help my daughter. My Question is this : Can I sign an affidavit or other notorized legal paper for this Lady to be able to do things like register my daughter for school. Give permission for medical treatment in an emergency. Sign permission slips for school field trips ect. Or would I have to give up full custody? Is there a thing where I can grant her guardianship without loosing custody?
Old Jul 13th, 2010, 11:42 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Permission for minor child to live with another family

You can do a temporary guardianship yes.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #3
Unregistered

Why aren't YOU getting YOUR child and raising her instead of a legal stranger?? Children are your flesh and blood, not some puppy you can trade off when they chew up a shoe.
Grow up or get fixed!

Old Jul 14th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #4
Unregistered

Let me see if I read your post correctly. You don't want to actually raise your child anymore, and want to allow someone else to do it, but you do not want to lose custody of the child. Is that correct? And why is it that you are fearful of losing custody? It couldn't have anything to do with losing child support entitlement money now could it?

If you have joint custody, it's unclear why you think you are the only person with any decision making power here. The child's other parent would need to agree to this strange arrangement as well.

Is there some reason you don't allow the child to live with you as the primary residence?

Right now you cannot sign anything releasing care of your child to a total stranger. Really, you and your ex should both be reported for child neglect.

Old Jul 15th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #5
Unregistered

Wow! I thought this forum was for legal questions. I didn't know it was a narrow minded moral bashing site she esh! I didn't type the entire story on here because it has no bearing on my LEGAL question.

Some of you need to expand your minds and think before you type away your first impressions. There are sound reasons for both me and my ex for letting our daughter stay with this family friend whom has known our daughter since kindergarten. So therefore: take your biased opinions and stuff them right back where they came from. If you wouldn't say what you're typing in front of the person then guess what? Don't try to be someone your not. If you want to know specific questions then ask! Don't assume anything.

Thanks to those who give honest answers here.

Old Jul 15th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #6
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wow! I thought this forum was for legal questions. I didn't know it was a narrow minded moral bashing site she esh! .

Thanks to those who give honest answers here.
The only narrow minded person I see on here is you for wanting to allow YOUR child that you MADE be someone else's responsibility. If you make them, you need to be able to support them and take care of them, not pawn them off on others.
And yes, this is the way that most people will see your situation.

Old Jul 15th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #7
Unregistered

Lady, if you put your personal business on a public message board, have the sense to realize you are not always going to receive favorable responses.

A direct question was asked. You didn't answer. Is there some reason the child cannot live with you primarily?

You won't be able to receive child support from the father if you allow your child to live with someone else. You need the father's agreement in this matter, and I'm not sure it's entirely legal anyway if there is a current court order regarding custody/visitation/child support.

If you two do this without a court order and someone reports you, you could both face jail time.

Old Jul 15th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #8
Unregistered

What effect do you think this will have on your child when she is older? I hope she doesn't grow up and think that neither her mother nor her father wanted anything to do with her so they gave her away when times got tough. Hopefully if she has children, YOUR GRANDCHILDREN, she won't repeat your pattern if they get out of hand. If she does, just remember, she learned it from you!

Old Jul 15th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #9
Unregistered

I think the OP is the father, not the mother.

It's difficult to get a good impression when you say one thing and then say another. You claim in your first post that there's this lady who met your daughter through her daughter. Then, in your second post you say this person is a family friend you've known since your daughter was in kindergarten. That's quite a disparity. Your first post gives readers the impression you've only recently met this women you wish to pawn your kid off onto.

I agree that the only narrow minded person posting here is you. If you can't control your teenage daughter, that does speak volumes about both yours and your ex's parenting skills. Teens are difficult to handle, as they are growing up and becoming adults and hormones are raging. But most parents don't throw in the towel and look for others to take on the responsibility of raising their children simply because the (the parents) don't want to.

There is no "sound" reason for pawning one's children off onto anyone else unless the child is medically in need of professional care.

Sorry pal, but you're not going to get too many sympathetic responses and in answer to the legality part, you cannot legally do what you are asking, as you and the child's mother are the legal custodians, and unless you go through court to make your arrangement (which the judge will not likely allow), you are stuck raising your own kids.

Old Jul 16th, 2010, 01:07 AM   #10
Unregistered

Well congrats to the poster who figured out I am the Father of my (adopted) daughter.

Yes, a direct Q was asked from a poster who definitely is narrow minded, and said I should be arrested for child neglect. No matter my response to that person I am already guilty and therefore I did not waste my time.

Yes there is a reason my daughter would do better with the family friend than here with me. And I said this lady has known my daughter since kindergarten. Not me. I live in a different state over 150 miles away.

And I agree with the poster about the parenting skills of my ex. Most of the issues are because of the way she was raised. I wish I could take both of my daughters away from that situation and have them live with me permanently. I would have no problem raising my own children. However; the courts believe that a woman can do a better job than a man no matter if the woman is a complete nincompoop. I have a messed up situation that I am trying to deal with the best I can.

If this situation cannot be worked out legally then my daughter will be living with me. I will not give up custody of my daughters to anyone no matter what period.( has nothing to do with money).

Despite what you think there are sound, solid reasons for what I am seeking.

You people here all must want to become judges because most of you all want to immediately condemn a person before you know all the facts. Some of your silly comments gave away your level of competence as well and warranted no intelligent response.

And so ends this saga as I am getting nowhere in this forum and I do not desire to type out several paragraphs of details that once again have no bearing on my legal question, of which I have a hearing to sit down with a State Judge in a family court next month. That privilege alone costs $150.00

I suggest reading some books to help some of you who really need to expand your minds to more positive ways of thinking. How to win friends and influence people would be a good one to start with.

Good bye

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 5510 times