Can ex's ex get my lottery winnings?

This is a discussion on Can ex's ex get my lottery winnings? within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I am married. My husband has a child from a previous marriage that he pays child support for. My question ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Can ex's ex get my lottery winnings?

I am married. My husband has a child from a previous marriage that he pays child support for. My question is, if I purchase a lottery ticket and win some actual money, like a large amt., is his ex wife or child entitled to some of my winnings?
Sponsored Links
Doing business in China? Need legal help or advice? Contact our international and Chinese lawyers 24 hours! WORLD Law Direct offers an experienced team of American and Chinese legal professionals.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 07:02 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Can ex's ex get my lottery winnings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am married. My husband has a child from a previous marriage that he pays child support for. My question is, if I purchase a lottery ticket and win some actual money, like a large amt., is his ex wife or child entitled to some of my winnings?
I posted it wrong...It should say "Can my husband's ex gt my lottery winnings"?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 10:31 PM   #3
Unregistered

Your husband is solely responsible for child support for his children. Nobody else. So the answer to your question is no. If you win, or perhaps you already did and that is why you're curious, she cannot touch any of your money; neither for herself or her child. You are not responsible for another woman's children.

Old Jun 14th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #4
Unregistered

YOur income regardless of the source is not a factor for your husbands child support unless the ex can prove you are intentionally hiding your husbands assests and income under your name.

As long as you claim any lottery winnings and file taxes claiming those winning (if you are required to claim them on taxes in your area) then no the ex can not make a claim against them.

Old Jun 16th, 2010, 07:27 AM   #5

All of the above is correct. However if you and your husband file jointly for taxes and he is behind in child support any tax returns can go to his ex.
abauchmoyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jun 16th, 2010, 08:53 AM   #6
Unregistered

Thanks for the help
And no, he's not behind in child support, never has been. He pays the first of the month before anything else is paid, always has.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 5711 times