WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody & Support > Can I take away the rights of my children's biological father? - UK

Can I take away the rights of my children's biological father? - UK

This is a discussion on Can I take away the rights of my children's biological father? - UK within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; Hi! I am new to this forum. What encouraged me to join this site is because i want to know ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 12:19 AM   #1

Default Can I take away the rights of my children's biological father? - UK

Hi!
I am new to this forum. What encouraged me to join this site is because i want to know if i can take away the rights of my children's biological father. For the reason that he has totally abandoned our children, no financial support and no communication at all. He now lives with his other family in the UK and i am now married to a british national who is supporting us all the way through from clothings, doctors and medical check ups, my children's school tuition fees and everything. And my husband would like to adopt my children in the future as they are only 9 and 7 years old.
And one thing more, my ex-husband's parents would want to see and visit my children or even borrow them for a few days. But i am worried that they might not take them back to me and will never see my children as i will be going to the UK soon to join my husband and will leave the children with my parents for the meantime.
Thank you for reading my message. Looking forward to hear from you with great advice!

Dawnie
oOodawnie_82oOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 04:19 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: Can I take away the rights of my children's biological father? - UK

I wish to inform you that you can approach the court in the county where the children live to terminate the parental rights of the biological father. In this, you can bring to the notice of the court that the biological father has abandoned the children and lives in UK with his other family. The court will consider the matter in the best interests of the children and decide it. If the rights of the biological father are terminated then your husband may adopt your children. Otherwise, he can adopt your children with the consent of the biological father. Regarding the grandparents, in the light of your fears you may permit them visitation rights with the approval of the court but no custody rights.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 05:30 AM   #3

Smile re: Can I take away the rights of my children's biological father? - UK

Hi! Thank you very much for your helpful reply. Just one more question. Is it possible to live a "Special Power of Attorney" in behalf of me and my husband saying that my parents are going to act as the guidant and will leave my children in the care of my parents for the meantime. And also, can i put into details that no body in my ex-husband's family is allowed to borrow my children nor take them somewhere else for a day or so. And if they want to see my children they will have to inform us in advance and not just coming whenever they want to.

Sorry, with regards to going to my county do i need to see the judge or one of the lawer? Can you please tell me what are the steps on how to do it as i am really worried and would want to relax our mind that incase my ex-husband turn up and i am already in the UK, atleast i know what are the charges that i can press against him for taking my children away and breaking such letter that i made for my children's situation. If that ever happens then i have to get my flight and face him in the court.

Thank you very much in advance for your information. It was very helpful. Actually i am now quite relieve with the advice you gave me earlier.

Yours sincerely,
Dawnie

Old Jun 4th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #4

Default Re: Can I take away the rights of my children's biological father? - UK

Why aren't your children going with you to UK?
abauchmoyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jun 4th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #5
Unregistered

Children are not "borrowed".

Take your children with you. Problem solved.

The biological father's parents have no rights whatsoever and it's entirely up to you whether or not your children visit them or are left with them.

You cannot terminate the bio dad's rights but you can petition the court to hear the case. The bio dad would have to agree.

He's not exercising his rights anyway. There's no point in wasting time or money to try to accomplish something he's not using anyway.

Is there some reason you cannot take your children with you? If you can't take them with you, you should not go yourself.

Old Jun 4th, 2010, 11:37 AM   #6

Agree with last post. Your children should be your primary concern. If you are just going for a short visit (ie vacation) that would be different. But to move to a Different country without your kids is crazy. And if you do leave them here your parents and your ex's parents should share the kids. you are robing your kids of family. If they want to be in your kids life let them. Don't keep them out just cause you're not happy with your EX
abauchmoyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jun 5th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #7

Hi Everyone!
Thanks for your reply. Things are quite complicated at the moment. I can not take my children with me to the UK right away as i need to look for a job first, get everything settled and prepared for their coming and joining us in the UK.
So its just my husband that is now supporting us and its not fair to be too kind and share my kids with my ex-husband when hes not even supporting financially and even remembers to call his children. And for me i call it that he totally abandoned my children.

So since i have some good advice then atleast we know where we stand and as a mother i will never let anyone take my children away from me. I am leaving them with my parents only for the meantime while we prepare their accommodation and schools in the UK.
But i want to relax my mind while im away and make sure that my children are in safe hands. This is the reason why i have join this forum to share with you my complicated situation and in the end get some good advice and what to do.

Thank you very much!

Dawnie

Old Dec 13th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #8
yajaira lopez

Unhappy Re: Can I take away the rights of my children's biological father? - UK

i been in a relationship where my boyfriend hits me and i neaver told no one and it was for 3 o 4 years and i had 2 kids with him and finally i got help from my mom, and know a year past and my x boyfriend calls me and tells me he want to take the kids away from me he has sent money but he neaver dose it reguarly and monthes past and he sends me money when he wants to and his not in child suports cuase i dont want nothing to do with him , and i had my frist baby when i was 14 years old and my babys dad is not legual in this country and my kids dont have his last name cuz of the same problem, and i wanted to see if he can take my kids away

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 4337 times