Child medical expense questions - Texas

This is a discussion on Child medical expense questions - Texas within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; First, thank you to everyone that reads this, all answers/comments are appreciated. I'll try to be brief. I have a ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #1

Default Child medical expense questions - Texas

First, thank you to everyone that reads this, all answers/comments are appreciated. I'll try to be brief.

I have a child from a previous marriage that I have paid child support on since 2000. I have never missed a payment and only rarely has it been >5 days late. Not counting 3 missing checks that just never arrived. I am also responsible for 1/2 medical which I have rarely questioned and have always paid.

About 3 years ago, my ex wife, who has a master's degree in education, put our child in a special Dyslexia tutoring program (after school). The program cost roughly $500.00 a month. I refused to pay as my child support at the time was $450.00 a month. I have been told that it would be considered a 'special education expense' and not a medical expense. To date my ex wife has refused to provide any information about the program. I do know that a similar program is available for free at the public school that my daughter attends. (Ex wife is the school's special education counselor, and is well familiar with the program).

We had our modification done last November with child support adjusted per Texas Law. Now, I am being sued for back medical expenses to the amount of $13,000+. Most of the expenses are related to the Dyslexia program. Some of the expenses date back to 2000 and are for $5.00 to $20.00 each.

From May 2001 until November 2009 I payed an extra $50.00 a month to cover "incidental expenses" such as these small medical bills. Once I receive documentation of a visit from my ex wife I pay it in the next months child support. Up until recently, I have never required her to send me any bills via registered mail.

Most of the bills I have never seen or knew about. I'm positive that I never received an invoice or I would of paid them.

I live 400 mile away from where this was filed. The expense of traveling there and back is hardening. And the local attorneys in the Houston Area charge $250.00 and hour. While worth their weight in gold on something like this, I just can't justify the expenses.

So my questions:

1. Do I have any hopes of a defense based on not being informed of the charges?
2. Will recently having a child support modification hear and this not included help me?
3. The jurisdiction on this was just changed to Texas in November, we were divorced in Oklahoma, so would the Texas courts have authority from the older expenses?
4. Can I asked to see copy of the old invoices that they are wanting paid for?
5. Will my overpayment of child support over the 8 years help to pay some of this off?
6. Any chance I could be reimbursed if found 'not guilty'
7. How probable is a criminal conviction? I have never had any trouble with the law.

I have more questions, but want to be brief.

Thank you for your time,

OKDad
OKDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Top crime attorneys
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:37 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Child medical expense questions - Texas

The criminal conviction is not likely if there is some confusion etc.

...try to show you took care of all items you knew about.

Texas can address the past expenses now. The court will give an order and rectify all past amounts, and it should be resolved at that point.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:53 AM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: Child medical expense questions - Texas

If you PAID, then you have nothing to worry about.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1365 times