WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody & Support > This is ridiculous - paying child support for a child thats not mine

This is ridiculous - paying child support for a child thats not mine

This is a discussion on This is ridiculous - paying child support for a child thats not mine within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I am wanting to know why I am responsible to pay child support for a child thats not mine? The ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 11:41 PM   #1

Exclamation This is ridiculous - paying child support for a child thats not mine

I am wanting to know why I am responsible to pay child support for a child thats not mine? The fathers name is on the birth certificate. And the child bears his last name. I was told by Ohio child support that even though I have been separated from the mother for 8 years, we are still legally married , that her 6 year old is my responsability to support. As most of us Idont have enogh money to pay for a dna test. I am wanting to know what I can do? Why am I paying for this child? Please help me. I have tried many things with no result. Thank you for taking the time to help.
tonytrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Doing business in China? Need legal help or advice? Contact our international and Chinese lawyers 24 hours! WORLD Law Direct offers an experienced team of American and Chinese legal professionals.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default re: This is ridiculous - paying child support for a child thats not mine

If the child was born while you are married you are legally presumed to be the father.

If you want to undo that presumption you must go to court. And time limits to do so exist in some situations, so move asap.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 10:06 PM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: This is ridiculous - paying child support for a child thats not mine

The first question you must ask yourself is why you are still legally married to a woman you have been separated from for 8 years.

Secondly, you don't provide details regarding how it is you came to be ordered to pay child support for a child that is not yours biologically.

Old Apr 24th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #4
Unregistered

Default Re: This is ridiculous - paying child support for a child thats not mine

The baby is so cute, I would think you would want him/her.

Some people never realize what they have, and how much many of us would want the same.

Old Apr 25th, 2010, 01:15 AM   #5
Unregistered

Thats how it works- someone has to pay. the court and the attorneys won't make it easy, simple, or sensible. If they did, you wouldn't be forced to spend all your money to buy some justice, and they'd see your money go to another industry- maybe you'd buy a car, or a home, or new furniture- but for them, you're here to feed their bank accounts, and they'll make you come up with the money. Or, you'll go to jail.

Old Apr 25th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Unregistered

That pretty much covers it in a nutshell. It's also the reason the "best interest of the child" is a sound-bite and nothing more.

If a child's best interest really were put first, the majority of children would not be growing up angry, confused, fearful, going to therapy, getting into legal trouble, etc. If a child grows up to be a secure, productive member of society, the court system and all its veins and arteries would be obsolete.

Family court is the last place any couple with children should go to. They simply are not necessary when two adults can steer their own boat.

Old Apr 27th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #7
Unregistered

Smile Re: This is ridiculous - paying child support for a child thats not mine

Get your wife to ask for a dna test to prove that the other guy is the father. If she does that, the state picks up the cost.

Old Apr 28th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #8
Unregistered

Happens all to often! It should be a man's CHOICE to support a CHILD HE DID NOT CREATE! Women can choose to have an abortion, it is a CHOICE to adopt a child. If you did not legally adopt a child knowingly that the child was not yours (not because you were fraudulently led to believe so) and you did not biologically create a child, then why should you be forced to support them? In the story below, there were 2 other articles written after, one about being more to the story, that the father did have a relationship with the child up until about 5 yrs, but he had not had any contact for 8 years after.... This bill was never passed only because the state had someone to screw the money out of!

Published Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Army Master Sgt. Christopher Sprowson's deployment to Iraq in 2005 was complicated not by routine orders passed down in a war zone, but by the contents of a startling letter the state of Kansas sent to his wife.

The document from the Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services ordered Sprowson to pay child support for a boy, born to his first wife a decade earlier, that genetic testing had already proven was fathered by someone else. The career soldier, based at Fort Riley, had divorced his first wife soon after the child was born. The boy is now 13.

Sprowson's current spouse, Karey Sprowson, contacted an SRS attorney for an explanation of the letter and to share the DNA evidence.

It made no difference.

"Under Kansas law," she said, "since he and the mother were married at the birth, he is the presumed father."

Karey Sprowson, who lives in Wakefield north of the sprawling military base, said it was time to inject common sense into the state's paternity statutes.

Today, she will appear before the Senate Judiciary Committee on behalf of a bill that would allow a man presumed to be the father of a child to request a genetic test. Results of that analysis, according to the proposed new law, would be used by the court when assigning paternity. Provisions of the bill would apply to children younger than 18 years of age as of July 1.

Sen. Jim Barnett, R-Emporia, said he sponsored the legislation to inject "fairness" into a process that was damaging to the Sprowson family. He was contacted by Karey Sprowson because much of the legal wrangling in the case has transpired in Emporia.

Barnett said the Lyon County District Court's $325 monthly child support judgment against Christopher Sprowson was detrimental to the welfare of the couple's three children, who range in age from 10 years to 14 months.

"His real children have become victims of the courts," Barnett said.

Sen. Tim Owens, an Overland Park Republican and chairman of the judiciary committee, said the judicial branch was guided by statutes designed to prevent parental figures from avoiding responsibility for their children.

The proposed legislation could have a big impact on the handling of other paternity cases, he said.

Karey Sprowson, who is in charge of the family's paternity case while her husband serves a third tour in Iraq, said the legal drama had drained the couple's savings account. The family's 2008 income tax refund will be seized, she said.

The irony, Karey Sprowson said, was the boy's birth mother didn't want her ex-husband held liable.

"She went to court with us and told the SRS attorney that she didn't want child support from him and the he is not the child's father," Karey Sprowson said.

She said the boy has no relationship with Christopher Sprowson.

"While they are looking at the best interests of one child," she said, "they're not considering the best interests of all children. They're taking away from my children."

Tim Carpenter can be reached at (785) 296-3005 or timothy.carpenter@cjonline.com.

Old Jun 17th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #9
Unregistered

Thumbs Down Re: This is ridiculous - paying child support for a child thats not mine

WOW!!.... The story below is another good example of how the State doesn't care about the hard working, law abiding people, or the "best interests of the child". They would rather lie to the child so they don't know the truth... They would rather extort money from a honest working taxpayer who oh by the way is a Veteran!... They seem to support the women who lie, commit adultry and fruad!.... Hmmm lets see... women can commit adultry, and fraud by telling some man he's the Dad and in the end the ***** will get to screw the man out of money and receive a check every month for it????

So apparently KANSAS SUPPORTS FRAUD!.....Nice

Old Jun 17th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #10
Unregistered

You got it, ace. Women are rewarded for the very same behavior men are vilified for.

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 10446 times