Can I legally move out at age 17 in Michigan ?

This is a discussion on Can I legally move out at age 17 in Michigan ? within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; Based on legal information I recently obtained in regards to moving away from home in Michigan at age 17 I ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #1
Unregistered

Exclamation Can I legally move out at age 17 in Michigan ?

Based on legal information I recently obtained in regards to moving away from home in Michigan at age 17 I believe it is permitted but I am however unsure. Any assistance is appreciated.

Note: I am currently 17 and able to financially support myself.
Sponsored Links
Top crime attorneys
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #2
Top Level Member
sunlover's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Can I legally move out at age 17 in Michigan ?

There are several ways you can move out at 17

. Parental consent
. Join Military (Requires parental consent)
. Marriage (Requires parental consent)
. Teen Emancipation (If your state has a statute. Get info on this at All Topics Forums • Index page)
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #3
Unregistered

i want to move out of my house sick of my parents but im only 17. me and my girlfriend want to get an appartment together and we can do it. so do you think i could get in trouble with the law?

Old Apr 21st, 2011, 10:44 AM   #4
Unregistered

Confused Re: Can I legally move out at age 17 in Michigan ?

i was told by a friend that i can move out at the age of 17 as long as my parents knew where i was going. and that it was not against the law because im not a minor anymore. Is this true? they also say that if my parents call the police that i cant be charged as a run away either. i want to know the truth.

Old Apr 21st, 2011, 10:51 AM   #5
Top Level Member

You are a minor until you reach 18 and under parental authority

Old Apr 24th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #6
MarryForrows's Flag is: United States

Hi to all here I'm new to the site and was just wondering around and saw this interesting thread and thought of replying. Since that you 17 years old your still considered a minor and as what sunlover have said you could only move out if you have
  • Parental consent
  • Join Military (Requires parental consent)
  • Marriage (Requires parental consent)
  • Teen Emancipation
I understand what your going through, sometimes we need to be apart from our family or friends, your only 17 and has a lot to discover in this world, be patient enough until you could be on your own. What I can suggest for now is seek the company of your friends. Hoped I have answered some of your questions.
MarryForrows is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 09:27 PM   #7
Unregistered

I have been researching this question a lot recently as I am 15, soon to be 16 and have wanted to move in with my dad since I can remember. From what I understand, at 17, you can only move out if you have consent from the parent you are currently living with. However, at 17, if your parent were to call the police and request them to find you and bring you home, they will not do so.
P.S. That is the part that confuses me... if you can "runaway" from home (as the courts call it) why can't you move out... it seems like relatively the same thing to me. Unless there is some sort of time limit that is considered "running away" before the cops can find and take you home..? Not sure about that, but I hope this information is at least a little bit helpful

Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 09:40 PM   #8
Top Level Member

This a myth. Where they are issues in which this happens its not as cut and dry as you think. If you want to avoid trouble for you and whoever you stay with I would not act on this misinformation

Old Jan 13th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #9
Unregistered

i was recently told that at age 17 i can move out and not be charged as a runaway by my parents. this coming from an officer in michigan i would assume it is true. other ways would be to be emancipated but that takes time money and good reason. otherwise being younger than 17 there is simply no help unless your parents are okay with you moving out with another adult and they must have some form of gaurdianship of you.

Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 12:09 PM   #10
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlover View Post
You are a minor until you reach 18 and under parental authority
You are wrong. Read the laws of Michigan and stop feeding these people lies. 17 is an in between age. In the state of Michigan a minor is someone UNDER 17 and an adult is 18 and up... So 17 is neither a minor nor an adult... You can leave home... Tell parents where your going and they can't do anything about it... They can't bring you home nor get you in any kind of trouble! Get your facts straight!

Bookmark & Share

Tags
michigan family law, moving out at 17 in michigan

This thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 16560 times