Can custodial parent agree to Decrease support Arrears?

This is a discussion on Can custodial parent agree to Decrease support Arrears? within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I am unemployed and in arrears about $25000. Court support proceedings were in Onondaga county ny. My question is: Can ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Can custodial parent agree to Decrease support Arrears?

I am unemployed and in arrears about $25000. Court support proceedings were in Onondaga county ny. My question is:
Can the custodial parent agree to significantly decrease the arrears that she would accept if it is entered as a court order? Is it not her choice? Can a court appointed mediator draw this agreement up? Or who can if possible? Thank you for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Criminal law issues? Contact leading defense lawyers now! Free immediate consultation!
Old Mar 19th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #2
Top Level Member
130smartchick's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Can custodial parent agree to Decrease support Arrears?

Any money owed to CP could be forgiven. If some of the arrears are assigned to the state bc CP received benefits, that money can't be forgiven.

Can you sue? Absolutely. Can you win? There's the rub!
130smartchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Mar 20th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: Can custodial parent agree to Decrease support Arrears?

It can be forgiven by the state, and they can come up with a repayment plan for the person receiving the child support to pay back.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
arrears, family, law, support

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1864 times