ARE MY KIDS OLD ENOUGH TO DECIDE WHERE THEY WANT TO LIVE?

This is a discussion on ARE MY KIDS OLD ENOUGH TO DECIDE WHERE THEY WANT TO LIVE? within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; My 2 kids currently reside with their dad, as per court order. They stay with me every other weekends and ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 04:09 PM   #1
Unregistered

Confused ARE MY KIDS OLD ENOUGH TO DECIDE WHERE THEY WANT TO LIVE?

My 2 kids currently reside with their dad, as per court order. They stay with me every other weekends and half their vacations. My question is, are my kids old enough to decide if they want to stay with me full time, as oppose to staying with their dad? My kids are 15 and 12.
Sponsored Links
Our lawyers can help you avoid foreclosure to salvage your home, buy time to pay mortgage debts, and resolve your financial troubles. Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Old Mar 4th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: ARE MY KIDS OLD ENOUGH TO DECIDE WHERE THEY WANT TO LIVE?

I wish to inform you that your children can inform court regarding the fact with which parent they wish to stay. In this the court will give due weight to the wishes of the children but will decide the matter after giving due consideration regarding the best interest of the children. Hence, being minors the court has the power to decide the custody matter after consideration of the children's wishes. After the child has become a major and is longer a minor then the child can choose with whom the child wishes to live and can live with that parent.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #3
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My 2 kids currently reside with their dad, as per court order. They stay with me every other weekends and half their vacations. My question is, are my kids old enough to decide if they want to stay with me full time, as oppose to staying with their dad? My kids are 15 and 12.
they can make that decison when theyre 18-not before

Old Apr 12th, 2010, 10:03 PM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
they can make that decison when theyre 18-not before
Unregistered, I wish to inform you, any child, that is competent, meaning, able to understand the affects of deciding something like this, can decide which parent to live with, without having to wait to be 18. The courts are diffent in everystate. You will need to look up your state laws and statues about this. Some states it is 13 others, yr or 2 younger or older. The court will look at what the child wants, but also what is in the best intreast of the child. Like, a 13 yr old male or female might want to live with the other parent because their are not alot of rules or guiedlines at that house, the court can look at it as in....yes we understand that you want to live with that parent but it really is not in your best intreast to not have any rules to how you should or should not behave. Look up your laws and contact your courts, get a lawyer if you have to....good luck and keep us updated please. God Bless.

Old Apr 13th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #5
msg
Top Level Member
msg's Flag is: United States

...in some states around age 12 the courts will begin to listen to the kids.

But it is still just one factor, not determinative.
msg is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 3357 times