Is a parent reponsible for their child till age 21?

This is a discussion on Is a parent reponsible for their child till age 21? within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I live in NYS and have a son who is 19 years old. He is not attending college nor is ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Is a parent reponsible for their child till age 21?

I live in NYS and have a son who is 19 years old. He is not attending college nor is he working. I was told I was responsible for him until he was 21 years old. I just had to drop him from my health insurance because he is not in college. Am I responsible to pay his unpaid medical bills? When does the liability end with the parent because your son is lazy.
Old Feb 24th, 2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Is a parent reponsible for their child till age 21?

If your custody order states that you are responsible for him after the age of 18, for college attendance purposes, and he is not attending college, you are no longer legally financially responsible for him. He's on his own, and he's an adult now.

If he attends college, and it's stipulated in your custody order that you are responsible for him during his attendance, you are still obligated to pay child support.

I hope this answers your question.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 1 reply and has been viewed 1191 times