WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody & Support > Pictures on Facebook (permission to have children's pictures on Facebook)

Pictures on Facebook (permission to have children's pictures on Facebook)

This is a discussion on Pictures on Facebook (permission to have children's pictures on Facebook) within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; Anyone with custodial rights can make the decision to post their childrens photos or give permission to another allowing them ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #11
Unregistered

Default Re: Pictures on Facebook (permission to have children's pictures on Facebook)

Anyone with custodial rights can make the decision to post their childrens photos or give permission to another allowing them to post photos. If your husband is not a custodial parent then there is an issue. If your husband is a custodial parent he has the same rights as the mother to grant permission to post the childrens photos. Nothing that would be considered inappropriate and I would suggest good taste. I'm a parent and I don't post my child's pictures but they have their own protected restricted accounts that the share pics with thier friends and I monetor that site.
You husband's ex can file to force you to remove the pics but again if your husband is a custodial parent she has no case. If she has sole custody then she may have a case. Is it worth it? Nly you know the whole story. Many people threaten court to get thier way ask a lawyer yourself get a consult.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Sponsored Links
Top crime attorneys
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #12
Unregistered

Cool Re: Pictures on Facebook (permission to have children's pictures on Facebook)

I think its an ex thing...I have raised my step-children sence they were 3 and 1 and they know me as mommy. I take care of them and I have every right to post pics of them as long as my page is set to private and I dont add people I dont know, and the only one who has ever said anything is her sister and that was along time ago and I told her to shut her hole and get over it! I was like if your sister has a problem with it then she can come talk to me!! If parents are smart about it then I see no problem with it! Oh and my husband ex has pics of her daughter half naked on her facebook and I just reported it, so those are the pics that need to be reported!!

Old Sep 4th, 2010, 04:59 AM   #13
Unregistered

Default Re: Pictures on Facebook (permission to have children's pictures on Facebook)

No, my dear, you do not have "every right" to do any such thing. Just because you've taken care of someone else's child as a stepparent, that does not give you automatic "rights". LEGALLY, you are NOT their legal custodian, and as such, you have no right to anything concerning the child.

You don't have the right to post someone else's children's pictures on the internet. You seem to be quite ignorant of the law and seem to confuse self entitlement with legal right.

Old Dec 8th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #14
Unregistered

Wink Re: Pictures on Facebook (permission to have children's pictures on Facebook)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sorry, but the mother, as the child's LEGAL parent, most certainly does have every right to disallow her children's pictures from being put up on the internet. Parents have a duty to keep their children as safe as possible, and the internet is no place for their pictures to be. It's one thing to have a private profile, where only friends (known friends) can view them, but if they are simply up there for all the world to see, no NON LEGAL adult or person has the right to do what the OP did.

It might be a "free country" but really, what does that have to do with a legal parent exercising their legal rights?

BamaBrownEyes1985: I've come across enough of your posts to see that you have a level minded head on your shoulders, and know, intellectually and legally, that the mother has the rights here and you don't, regardless of being married to the children's father. This is a small battle, and the saying is pick your battles. Simply take the pictures off the net, and save the fight for something much more serious and significant. This is merely a case of battle of the wills.
OK so no posting of children but if the Bio Mother is really worried about the step parent posting pictures of their children on FaceBook or MySpace due to the reasons you stated above and no other reason like being a controlling bully or whatever the case may be... Why might I ask doesn't the Mother take down the pictures. If it is a concern of hers for her child/rens safety. Really it sounds more like a insecure Mother that is scared to let go a little. You do realize step parents really really do not want to take your place... Honestly... I understand completely the not posting but I strongly believe that if your child is under the age of 18 you shouldn't post any pictures of them on any social network. It is just not responsible. So Bio Mother and Step Mom... Let it go. Do not post pictures of any minor children ont he internet and you will both be fine. Bio Mother stop being so controling and learn to get along with Step Mom. You realize your children are paying attention to your behavior... right??? Thanks for reading. Have a wonderful night.

Old Dec 14th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #15
Unregistered

Quote:
They are a FAMILY, wouldn't it look bad to the step kids if the only "family" pictures there were with out them? Lighten up, so many legal parents hate step parents and want the worst for them.
If all the parents and step parents could be half as adult about things as the kids, everyone would do better in the long run.

I say do what the other poster said, change the page to both your names and she can't say squat then.
Sorry but as a mom myself if my ex husbands new wife used my childs image on her facebook, with or without her own childs image next to his Id sue the pajamas off her. It would be my childs image, the child I gave birth to, that I have rights to, that I dont post images of on the internet inviting any pervert to see.

If this mom loves this kind of stuff as the OP has said then more reason to just take it down. Otherwise you could be in court over something very fixable, and not have to waste the courts time and your own money on something like this. I try not to have to go to court unless I need to. I figure that money is better spent on my kids then court, but would definitely not only go to court for something like this, but would add it to my documentation to obtain sole custody.

Old Jan 17th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #16
Unregistered

I recently just had the same issue with posting pictures of my husbands children on my facebook page... There is no harm in this at all... If the page is private & only friends & family are able to view this then keep them up there... No law says you cannot be proud of your family... Our pictures are online for the simple fact that our family lives out of state & its the only way for them to see the children... There mother also has a facebook with pictures of the children... So in this case its just the fact she doesnt want me to display our family together!!! If you see any wrong in that then please comment!!!

Old Jan 17th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #17
Unregistered

Quote:
I recently just had the same issue with posting pictures of my husbands children on my facebook page... There is no harm in this at all... If the page is private & only friends & family are able to view this then keep them up there... No law says you cannot be proud of your family... Our pictures are online for the simple fact that our family lives out of state & its the only way for them to see the children... There mother also has a facebook with pictures of the children... So in this case its just the fact she doesnt want me to display our family together!!! If you see any wrong in that then please comment!!!
It's curious when adults don't see the "harm" in posting for all the world's predators to see, their children's pictures. Worse, when an adult who is no relation to those children do it - as the poster above has done.

If the photo album is private, that's one thing. But what if someone on that "friend" list copies it and shares it with another?

Also, have you considered that you may know a predator and not even realize it?

When in doubt, it's best to protect your children from all possible forms or harm when possible. Keeping pictures of children off the internet altogether is one good way to start.

Old Feb 24th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #18
Unregistered

I am actually dealing with this same type of issue except I'm on the other foot, my son's grandmother whom we have no associations with because of her lifestyle and the associations she has with people on her facebook, I had facebook remove a photo that was taken of her and my son the day he was born. I'm sure people think i'm a horrible mother for taking away a picture like that away from his grandmother, but despite who took the photo, he is under the age of 18 and she did not get my consent to post that photo and I had asked her repeatedly to remove it and because she didn't I filled out the forms on facebook and they removed it for me. You say it's not legal to have that done? Yes, yes it is very much legal to do that. I consulted with my lawyer and it is against the law for any person to post a picture of a child other than their own without the permission from that child's parent if they are under the age of 18. So my advice to you, only post pictures of your own children because this is an issue that has sky rocketed since the creation of myspace and facebook and it very much is against the law. Protect yourself and your children.

Old Jul 11th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #19
katie kane's Flag is: Great Britain

I agree ive had my exs partner post my kids over her public facebook page even though thy are not allowed to see my children they do it for show with no concern for child safety from creeps on facebook, I have done all in my power to have them removed and had no joy. I do not put my babies on their so why should she or anyone else
katie kane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Sep 1st, 2013, 04:30 PM   #20
Jilly's Flag is: Great Britain

You should not post pictures of children without permission from their parents, and that is both parents. Schools have to seek this. Who is to say who sees your pictures and the people you befriend on facebook. The mother gave birth to these kids and has a responsibility and you should respect her no matter what relationship or how you get on with her. Why would you need to do this. Most birth mothers would be offended with this
Jilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 20 replies and has been viewed 18355 times