How much of my income tax return can child support take?

This is a discussion on How much of my income tax return can child support take? within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; How much of my income tax return can child support take on a closed case for back child support?...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default How much of my income tax return can child support take?

How much of my income tax return can child support take on a closed case for back child support?
Sponsored Links
Forming an off-shore company? We can assist you in forming your company in 40 countries worldwide.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default re: How much of my income tax return can child support take?

All of it.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Unregistered

That's right---they took all of mine last year the greedy buggers!!!

Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #4

oh yea...they will take it all....federal and state.......
BamaBrownEyes1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Feb 19th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #5
Unregistered

Angry re: How much of my income tax return can child support take?

thats crap if they take all of it thoes are my husbands kids not mine i have my own so im gonna be screwed so i guess its better to file seperate then so my kids dont suffer i claim 0 all year to get one lump sum so because he has other kids i have to pay for them thats bull **** im not happy this system is so screwed up

Old Feb 19th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Unregistered

Angry re: How much of my income tax return can child support take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBrownEyes1985 View Post
oh yea...they will take it all....federal and state.......
that sucks im sorry to hear that if you dont mind me aswking how much did you owe in back support ?

Old Feb 20th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #7
Unregistered

They don't take any of your income if you are merely the new wife and not the mother to his kids. You are not responsible for his payment of child support. He is.

Claiming 0 so you can receive one lump sum is pretty stupid, as, you are giving the government a free loan all year, and that's money that was rightfully earned by you, that could be in your pocket all year round.

It's easy for people to forget that tax returns aren't some sort of jackpot won at the end of the year. It's money that has been taken out of your paycheck and used for purposes that we sometimes don't even know about. Claiming as high as allowed is the way to go, even if you end up owing at the end of the tax year. That money might as well be sitting in your bank account earning interest as the government's, who are using your tax money all year long.

If you receive, say, $3,000 this year for tax return, think of what you could have done with that $3,000 this past year. As it is, the government doesn't actually return all of the money they took (borrowed) from you.

Old Jan 6th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #8
Unregistered

Exclamation re: How much of my income tax return can child support take?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
thats crap if they take all of it thoes are my husbands kids not mine i have my own so im gonna be screwed so i guess its better to file seperate then so my kids dont suffer i claim 0 all year to get one lump sum so because he has other kids i have to pay for them thats bull **** im not happy this system is so screwed up
Just thought I'd pass this along. If you are married and you file separately, you don't qualify for the child tax credit. You have to file a joint return. I found that out after I married my husband who has two children and owes support. It's one of the qualifications on the IRS web site. It's probably so people who owe child support can't receive the credit where it can't be touched. I sure wasn't happy as I have a boy from a previous relationship and one with my husband but they would have taken every penny anyway. I was irritated that I had to be penalized because he owed support, but that's just the way it is.

Old Jan 6th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #9
Unregistered

Quote:
Just thought I'd pass this along. If you are married and you file separately, you don't qualify for the child tax credit. You have to file a joint return. I found that out after I married my husband who has two children and owes support. It's one of the qualifications on the IRS web site. It's probably so people who owe child support can't receive the credit where it can't be touched. I sure wasn't happy as I have a boy from a previous relationship and one with my husband but they would have taken every penny anyway. I was irritated that I had to be penalized because he owed support, but that's just the way it is.
If you are married to someone that has their tax return taken each year for child support, and you file jointly, by federal law you can claim "injured spouse". What this does is it takes all of the refund for child support, but once you file the injured spouse claim, they send you a check for your portion of the refund that is due you. Say that your tax refund was $1000 and they took it all for child support. Your refund of that due to you was $750. They'd take the whole refund of $1000,you'd file for injured spouse,and they would send you a check for the $750 due to you. The child support would go back into arearages for the $750 but you would have what is rightfully yours.
I hope this helps. The IRS can give you more information on an injured spouse claim. Since tax time is coming up, I suggest this to anyone that is in this situation.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #10
Unregistered

Quote:
That's right---they took all of mine last year the greedy buggers!!!
The greedy buggers? If you're not paying your child support, who's the greedy one? Your child deserves financial support from both parents to taxpayers don't get burden with financially support your kid.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 139 replies and has been viewed 52440 times