WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody & Support > Do i still pay child support when my name isnt on birth certificate

Do i still pay child support when my name isnt on birth certificate

This is a discussion on Do i still pay child support when my name isnt on birth certificate within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; Maryland do i still pay child support when my name isnt on birth certificate and i want to exaust my ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Do i still pay child support when my name isnt on birth certificate

Maryland

do i still pay child support when my name isnt on birth certificate and i want to exaust my parental rights
Sponsored Links
Top crime attorneys
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Do i still pay child support when my name isnt on birth certificate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Maryland

do i still pay child support when my name isnt on birth certificate and i want to exaust my parental rights
no because untill paternity is established, you dont have a child to support

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #3
Unregistered

Two things.

First, if you have not been legally established as the father, you are not legally obligated to pay child support. This also means you have no legal rights as the father of the child in question.

Second, if the mother files with Child Support Enforcement Agency, there will be, most likely, a court ordered paternity test. If this does prove you to be the child's father, you will then be obligated to pay child support.

Child support and parental rights are two different things. Giving up parental rights does not absolve you of your child support obligations. So if you are proven to be the father, you will still be held accountable for paying child support regardless of whether or not you give up your parental rights. All giving up parental rights gets you is out of the right to make any decisions whatsoever regarding the child. This includes any visitation.

It is a shame that people think that giving up their parental rights absolves them of the moral and legal duty of financially supporting children they helped bring into the world.

Old Jan 14th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #4
Top Level Member
130smartchick's Flag is: United States

A little clarification: your name on the bc no more makes you the father anymore than its absence absolves you of parenthood. However, if you *are* legally established as the father then the forms can be sent in to amend the bc.

Second, I think OP was asking about terminating his parental rights. Yes, if your parental rights are terminated then all obligations would end - it is as if you never had a relationship to that child.

However, unless mom has a new husband waiting to adopt the baby, or you are a pedophile, the judge won't approve it. They won't leave a child without an important means of financial and emotional support.

Can you sue? Absolutely. Can you win? There's the rub!
130smartchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jan 14th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #5
Unregistered

The OP has already stated his name is not on the birth certificate. It's unclear why "clarification" was needed.

Yes, he was wondering about terminating his parental rights, but as it stands right now, he has none in the first place. But the fact does remain, that parental rights and the duty to pay child support are totally separate issues. Even if he were proven legally the father, and awarded parental rights, but waived them, or terminated them, 1. doesn't mean a judge will order them terminated, and 2. doesn't absolve him of the financial duty to pay child support, even if a judge were to terminate his parental rights. He will still have to pay child support, IF he's proven to be the father.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 16217 times