FACING JAIL TIME FOR NON PAYMENT OF CHILD SUPPORT (TEXAS)

This is a discussion on FACING JAIL TIME FOR NON PAYMENT OF CHILD SUPPORT (TEXAS) within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; Actually I work for the state. Cover up, unregistered, your ignorance is showing again. Non-paying NCP's go to jail for ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #11
Top Level Member
130smartchick's Flag is: United States

Default re: FACING JAIL TIME FOR NON PAYMENT OF CHILD SUPPORT (TEXAS)

Actually I work for the state. Cover up, unregistered, your ignorance is showing again.

Non-paying NCP's go to jail for willful failure to pay cs. CS that is owed to the family.

Surely there's other subjects you know nothing about where you can do less harm with your posts??

Can you sue? Absolutely. Can you win? There's the rub!
130smartchick is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Sponsored Links
Our lawyers can help you avoid foreclosure to salvage your home, buy time to pay mortgage debts, and resolve your financial troubles. Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #12

I do not agree that its ok for a father not to support his child but i know first hand that its all a money game......

Courts could care less about the mental and emotional health of the children...all they care about is the money.....

BUT A FATHER SHOULD HELP OUT...CHILDREN ARE NOT CHEAP..AND YES THEY KNOW WHEN THEY HAVE SEX WHAT COULD HAPPEN...BUT SO DOES THE WOMAN AND THEY BOTH HAVE A CHOICE....
BamaBrownEyes1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #13
Unregistered

Nobody inferred that it's not okay for a father, or a mother for that matter, to not pay child support. The issue is how it is paid and when it becomes a "crime". Child support, when it goes through a child support agency or through a court, is not paid directly to the mother any longer. It is paid to the state. Only then is when it become such an issue that the "laws" that I defy anyone to actually find, come into play.

The state does not care, nor does it even know, whether failure to pay child support is considered "willful" by each and every person who falls behind or fails to pay. The same rules apply to everyone, regardless.

When is the last time you heard of anyone going to jail for willfully failing to pay their mortgage? Their auto payment? Their credit cards? Those are legal contract legally and voluntarily entered into. Why is failure to pay one debt "owed" not criminal but another is? Arbitrary abuse of the constitution. If we're talking about morals, doing the right thing, wouldn't either scenario fall under that category?

When the State gets involved in child support payments, the money is owed to the State first, then the custodial parent. Anyone who wishes to argue that is free to call up their local state child enforcement agency, or their district court, or their state commission, and ask if it's true. Research first. Expound later.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #14
Top Level Member

You are the one who needs to do research.

Money is NEVER due to the state first - it is always families first.

Additionally, there is a HUGE difference between not paying your Visa bill or your mortgage vs child support.

Failure to pay child support is *neglect*. It is mistreatment, by omission of a human being.

Now, I have provided my credentials, what are yours?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #15

i think what the other person means is that when you go to court....you have to send your money through the state then they issue out a check to the CP....

Technically you are not paying the state...but when its set up for you to send it to them then they will mail a check to the mother and you don't send it then...thats when they are aware of nonpayment....

Fathers should help but the legal system takes it to far....it all about the money!
BamaBrownEyes1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jan 6th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #16
Top Level Member

Every state has a state disbursement unit - or something of a similar name. Now payments go through there two ways. One, if the parties have a court order just through their county of jurisdiction, payments process through with no consideration for how much is paid/owed, etc. No one is keeping track of any arrears balance, or if you are paid ahead. In addition there are no holds in place for when a child may emancipate, and no enforcement.

Secondly, if a case is through the state's IV-D agency (i.e. Dept of Revenue in FL, OAG in TX, etc) then payments process through the state's disbursement unit BUT the IV-D agency can and will place holds on distributions if the child is approaching emancipation, and also handle holds and distributions for parents receiving TANF.

The benefit of paying through the sdu even under situation #1 is that NCP has absolute proof of what they paid CP over time.

Either way, it NEVER affects the credit NCP gets for the amount paid.

Comparing it to Visa (which everyone loves to do for some reason) when you buy a pair of pants at Target on your Visa card YOU aren't really paying for them right then, Visa is. Does Target care? No. So why does NCP care whether CP gets his/her check or a check from the state? CP sure doesn't. And a lot of NCP's would get money orders and put bogus addresses because they didn't want CP to know where they lived.

Old Jan 7th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #17
Unregistered

You're missing the point in regard to other legally binding payments and child support payments.

You still have entered into a legally binding contract to pay back money you borrowed. Most people do this with complete cognizance of their actions. The difference is, if you get in arrears with your mortgage for, say, $10,000 the lender does not sic the state on you and the state exercises unconstitutional "rights" to revoke/suspend licenses, intercept IRS tax returns, freeze and take money from personal bank accounts, among other reprehensible actions that serve only to make an already bad situation worse. And bankruptcy is not an option when it comes to child support. It is the quintessential "debt" a father can never find any relief from. This is regardless of whether or not he even knows he has a child out there. You yourself said a woman can come after a man 5-10, 15 years down the road. A man can be hit up for child support at any time in his life. You said so yourself.

Debt is debt. There is no "huge" difference. The ONLY difference is the disparity in penalties between the two for non-payment.

Many times, a father is unaware his partner can even become pregnant. It's not unheard of for a woman to lie to a man about their birth control practices or ability to conceive. My brother's ex-girlfriend was offended at him using condoms, and would throw tantrums about it. She told him she was on birth control and took it religiously every day. They had been living together for a good 2 years, and ahh, stupid brother, believed her. His bad, right? Well, that turned out not to be true, because she got pregnant at the age of 41. She had stopped taking her birth control and got pregnant on purpose. What followed 8 months after the child was born (and still goes on 8 years later) is something out of a Stephen King novel. My brother has had the screws put to him like you wouldn't believe. It's enough to make any sane person strive to change our current laws.

So you can think whatever you want about us total strangers on the internet, but behind each post is a real person with real life experience and for some of us, all too much family court involvement that makes a mockery out of the word "justice".

Old Jan 7th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #18
Top Level Member

Believe me, sitting face to face, day after day, with CP's who had gorgeous manicures talking about how they couldn't afford pampers bc the cs was late - and I couldn't say a darn thing. (Just look down at my own pitiful nails that never saw professional grooming a day in their lives...). I couldn't tell them to get off their butts and get a j-o-b.

However, I also had NCP's come in with every sob story on the planet. I loved the guy who sat directly across from me and looked me straight in the eye and told me he had applied for ssdi because he was "too fat to work". At the time, I easily had him by 50 lbs and was in a power chair, and was *working*. But he had his application for ss so all enforcement had to stop.

So yeah, there are plenty of people on both sides who "play the system".

The simple fact remains you should always know that every time you have sex with someone a child could result.

This actually happened to DH and I. We were each told before we met that children were not in our future. I already had two half-grown children from my first marriage. DH resolved himself that he'd just be a step-dad to my teenagers.

We got pregnant nearly immediately after we were married. My endocrinologist was so shocked he asked how it happened. LOL

Kids happen. When you least expect them. That kid is nearly 15 now. You can bet after he was born I had my tubes tied, took bc pills and had hubby use a condom every time. We ended up adopting another child! Haha.

But I digress.

It is the kids. The kids that get dragged around, get stuck in the middle of fights that aren't really about them.

It still amazes me that you have to take a test to get a driver's license but any idiot can reproduce (and tend to in disproportionate numbers).

Child support *is* different than a mortgage (which can leave you homeless if you don't pay - frankly in jail you do get 3 squares and a bed....) because it represent negligent care of a child. The consequences should be far steeper.

Old Jan 7th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #19
Top Level Member

Shorter answer, I promise.

Imagine the parents are living together. Imagine the parents are found to be neglectful of their child(ren). What happens? They go to jail. Same thing, just NCP isn't in the house. But is still failing to provide minimal support for the child(ren).

Old Jan 8th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #20
Unregistered

Well, I agree with you on a few things. The first being that children are all too often used as pawns in their parent's fights and controlling power trips against each other. They can't seem to take the focus off their own selfish wants and indignant bitterness. The child ends up being the one truly victimized.

I also agree with you it's a shame one doesn't have to pass at the very least a psychological exam before being allowed to breed, but then, that's only for adoption. Any idiot can have a child. Literally.

I agree that neglectful and abusive parents should be jailed but sadly, the more neglectful one of the bunch never is. My brother should not be jailed for losing his job in an area that is impoverished, where the only skill set he ever knew went out of business and basically ruined the town economically. My brother didn't "willfully" stop paying child support.

What I disagree with you on, and will continue to disagree with anyone on, is that debt is different. It is not. You will lose your home if you don't pay your mortgage. Whoopdeedoo. What I've seen yanked away from my brother has been far worse than that, and do you realize how many people DO lose their homes because of the arbitrary "laws" the government is able to get away with when a man loses his ability to keep up on his child support payments?

Lose your home to foreclosure and you can declare bankruptcy. You can get another place to rent, you can even buy another home. Your credit may be damaged for awhile but it's not permanent. In 7 to 10 years the slate is wiped clean. Not so with child support. It is permanent, and fathers are branded 'deadbeat dads' regardless of the fact that many of them are not, and regardless of the fact that the mother of their child(ren) are getting away with much more reprehensible acts than getting behind on child support payments. The ONLY thing taken away if you don't pay your mortgage is your home. But fall behind on child support payments and your very civil liberties are taken away, such as the ability to go visit your own mother who lives not 10 minutes away, but in another country, because you have lost your passport "privileges" which you had to pay for, but don't actually belong to you. You've also lost your driver's license so you can't go visit your child, further breaking apart the father/child relationship dynamic. You've lost your occupational license, so you can no longer work to support either yourself OR your child. The list goes on.

My brother doesn't even have a home. He can't afford one. He now works for $8.00/hour and that barely pays for his utilities, such as heat (we live in the north), lights (water runs off electricity), gas (to get back and forth to work), food (to SURVIVE). The only way you are correct about debt being different, as I stated in my last post, is the disparity in penalty between them. So, in a warped way, you are right about it not being the same thing. There really IS a vast difference. I'd rather lose my home to foreclosure than have the misfortune of getting sick, injured, losing my job, and falling behind on child support payments. Because that appears to be more of a reprehensible crime than murder in the eyes of our "system".

"frankly in jail you get 3 square meals a day and a bed". Are you for real? 3 meals a day makes up for loss of freedom and civil liberties? I don't know anyone moronic enough to think that way, that losing a home is more of a big deal than losing their freedom. Did you forget who pays for keeping inmates in jail? It's the taxpayers who are now paying for BOTH parents. The one who's sucking the system dry, and the one who can't receive any state welfare but also is held by a merciless standard that he alone should stand on his own two feet and support not only himself but any children he has. NO EXCUSES. The mother is not held to that standard. Why should the father? Are men automatically robots who aren't subject to the same life circumstances that women are "subjected" to? Put a poor woman in front of a judge and he will not only award her FULL custody, regardless of the father's financial status, but he will pave the path for her to receive all the welfare she desires. Plus he'll hit the father up for more money than the poor sap can even afford.

Put a poor man in front of the same judge, and he awards custody to the mother BECAUSE of the father's financial poorness. Double standard, don't you think?

On another note, it's commendable that your ex husband had the generosity of heart to love your children "part-time".

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
non payment of child support, visitation and child support

This thread has 85 replies and has been viewed 19032 times