Can a step-parent sign for medical care, school papers, etc

This is a discussion on Can a step-parent sign for medical care, school papers, etc within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; Recently I requested copies of my children\'s medical records and found out that the step-mother was listed as the mother. ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:38 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Can a step-parent sign for medical care, school papers, etc

Recently I requested copies of my children\'s medical records and found out that the step-mother was listed as the mother. I had to prove I was their biological mother. She signed as their mother for medical care. On one occassion she signed without either biological parent present. Can a step-parent sign for medical care, school papers, etc
Sponsored Links
Our lawyers can help you avoid foreclosure to salvage your home, buy time to pay mortgage debts, and resolve your financial troubles. Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:54 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: Can a step-parent sign for medical care, school papers, etc

Not unless a court order authorizes them to do so.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 12:13 PM   #3
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Recently I requested copies of my children\'s medical records and found out that the step-mother was listed as the mother. I had to prove I was their biological mother. She signed as their mother for medical care. On one occassion she signed without either biological parent present. Can a step-parent sign for medical care, school papers, etc
no she cannot. this is going to cause dad problems if his wife doesnt stop. she is not mom. id bring this up before a judge, stepmom is way overstepping here

Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Unregistered

who has custody of the kids, you or your ex??

Old Apr 16th, 2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Unregistered

I have custody of them yet judge says it is perfectly ok while he degrades me as irresponsible and threatens me with giving my kids to their father as this woman seems to succeed at gaining more rights as I lose mine to a step mother who torments them and a father who allows her to do so. I love my kids more than life and I am scared....what can I do? Please help with any information you can provide. Thank you.

Old Apr 16th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #6
Unregistered

Quote:
I have custody of them yet judge says it is perfectly ok while he degrades me as irresponsible and threatens me with giving my kids to their father as this woman seems to succeed at gaining more rights as I lose mine to a step mother who torments them and a father who allows her to do so. I love my kids more than life and I am scared....what can I do? Please help with any information you can provide. Thank you.

Find another judge.

She has committed fraud by passing herself off as their legal parent.

Speak to an attorney.

Old Apr 16th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Unregistered

any time I speak up about these things and/or EVEN request another judge I am threatened with contempt, violation of the law and jail....these threats are made by other persons involved through the court and jail time. Is this how our family court system acts in the childrens "best interest"? My kids are physially sick from all of this and even vomit when the day approaches that they are to be with their father and step-mother. I am forced to watch my children suffer physically and emotionally only to be threatened that I will lose them to the ones causing their pain. Please direct me to any sources as I am unable to afford another lawyer as this has already broke me financially carrying with it a large debt already and I am at a loss of what to do.

Old Apr 20th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member
grim509's Flag is: United States

It's parent or guardian. Like it or not, she's their step-mother and now a part of their lives. Are the kids sick because of her, or because the way you berade her, or maybe baby them? For some reason the judge doesn't like you or your idea of what a parent should be. Not to be mean, but there's surely more to the story than what you are telling us.

I am a step-father and I have the legal right to sign such documents, as when the kids are with me and my wife, we are their guardians.

The judge may feel like you are more upset that she has any power rather than you're more concerned with their best interests. Many times in these cases, the arguments are good arguments, but the way they're presented makes them sound spiteful of the other parent rather than concern for the children.
grim509 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Apr 20th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #9
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim509 View Post
It's parent or guardian. Like it or not, she's their step-mother and now a part of their lives. Are the kids sick because of her, or because the way you berade her, or maybe baby them? For some reason the judge doesn't like you or your idea of what a parent should be. Not to be mean, but there's surely more to the story than what you are telling us.

I am a step-father and I have the legal right to sign such documents, as when the kids are with me and my wife, we are their guardians.

The judge may feel like you are more upset that she has any power rather than you're more concerned with their best interests. Many times in these cases, the arguments are good arguments, but the way they're presented makes them sound spiteful of the other parent rather than concern for the children.
Really? Is your name on the legal documents signed by the family court judge giving you "legal rights"? You have no legal rights to someone else's children unless a court of law specifically ordered it.

You do not have the legal right to sign anything. If one or both legal parents gave you permission, that's one thing, but you do not have any legal rights to any children unless you've adopted them. Unless that has happened, the biological parents are the only two people who have any legal rights over the children whatsoever.

When the kids are with you and your wife, she's their only legal guardian. Not you.

Really now, your contributions to this forum are replete with irresponsible "advice" and immaturity.

Old Apr 20th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member
grim509's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Really? Is your name on the legal documents signed by the family court judge giving you "legal rights"? You have no legal rights to someone else's children unless a court of law specifically ordered it.

You do not have the legal right to sign anything. If one or both legal parents gave you permission, that's one thing, but you do not have any legal rights to any children unless you've adopted them. Unless that has happened, the biological parents are the only two people who have any legal rights over the children whatsoever.

When the kids are with you and your wife, she's their only legal guardian. Not you.

Really now, your contributions to this forum are replete with irresponsible "advice" and immaturity.
The mother gave me permission. In the case by the OP, I would assume the father also gave permission as she did not state either way.

You are confusing legal guardian with guardianship. It also depends on how custody is defined (joint, sole, sole physical etc.) Based on what the OP stated with the judge threatening to send the kids to their father, it was assumed that it was joint custody.

It also depends on the state, some states require it to be court ordered, and some do not.
grim509 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 20 replies and has been viewed 11026 times