Can potential fathers demand paternity testing?

This is a discussion on Can potential fathers demand paternity testing? within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; My brother was told by a former girlfriend that he may have fathered her 2 week old child. She then ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Unregistered

Angry Can potential fathers demand paternity testing?

My brother was told by a former girlfriend that he may have fathered her 2 week old child. She then told him that Potential Daddy #1 had been tested & was not the father so my brother was definately the father. She has now changed her mind & said that Potential Daddy #1 is getting re-tested because she thinks there was a mistake on the 1st test. Does my brother have the right to stop the games & demand his own paternity test?
Sponsored Links
Doing business in China? Need legal help or advice? Contact our international and Chinese lawyers 24 hours! WORLD Law Direct offers an experienced team of American and Chinese legal professionals.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Top Level Member
Gbyte's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Can potential fathers demand paternity testing?

I'm not real sure there are any "games". Yes...he can request paternity testing.

I'm not sure of the different routes, he should be able to do it without an attorney. One is called a motion to establish paternity I think - and he may be able to contact the child support agency to establish paternity and child support.

The tests are expensive...
Gbyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #3

DO they have to wait until the baby is born??? My husband had an affair with a married woman. She is due in May and claims the baby is his. He has stated that he wants a test and she is threating to leave town if he demands an amnio??? Can this be done before she delivers??? Do I have any rights to demand a paternity test?? we have 2 children of our own as does she but she does not have custody of them
ohcrap4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Dec 11th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohcrap4me View Post
DO they have to wait until the baby is born??? My husband had an affair with a married woman. She is due in May and claims the baby is his. He has stated that he wants a test and she is threating to leave town if he demands an amnio??? Can this be done before she delivers??? Do I have any rights to demand a paternity test?? we have 2 children of our own as does she but she does not have custody of them
why do you think you have a right to demand a paternity test for a child not yours? stay out of this, you have no legal standing to demand anything here. this is between your husband and this woman.

Old Mar 8th, 2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Unregistered

Since nobody really accurately answered this woman's question, I will.

Yes, a paternity test can be performed in amnio, and no, he does not have to wait.

The OP does have some rights here, as she is married to the man who may have fathered the child.

The woman can make threats all she wants but running away from a paternity test is a clear admission of lying about who the father actually is. It appears this loose woman is trying to trap the married man.

Old Mar 9th, 2010, 03:28 AM   #6
Top Level Member
130smartchick's Flag is: United States

I know this is from an old post, but I must respond to the previous poster.

Pre-natal paternity testing is unnecessary in almost all cases and does present a risk to the baby. I would take off too.

Not sure if you meant this (actually sure you didn't) but the only married man this woman is catching is her own husband. When a woman is married and has a baby, her husband is the legal father and his name goes on the bc. Biodad can be determined if then a man comes forward and has paternity testing done.

Finally - hmm, don't think the married lady could be a loose woman without the married guy being a loose man. She wasn't there alone.

Can you sue? Absolutely. Can you win? There's the rub!
130smartchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Mar 9th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #7
Unregistered

To clarify for those posters who have trouble comprehending: A paternity test in amnio is possible, not anymore risky than amnio for any other reason, and in some cases (such as the OP's case) necessary.

The woman is claiming the OP's husband is the father. Yet she's balking and threatening to run at the prospect of a paternity test. Perhaps she shouldn't be making those accusations if she does not possess the grit to go through with paternity testing.

Personal feelings about what's written here are irrelevant and require no response.

Old Mar 9th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #8
Top Level Member
130smartchick's Flag is: United States

Aside from this man's desire to know, there is no reason to do pre-natal paternity testing. No legal action can be taken until after the baby is born.

And amnio carries risks to the pregnancy.

These are all cold, hard facts.

Can you sue? Absolutely. Can you win? There's the rub!
130smartchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Mar 9th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #9
Unregistered

As stated before. Amnio paternity testing carries no further risk than any other amnio procedure. Cold, hard fact as well.

Further, the OP asked if it was possible. The simple answer is yes. It does not require your personal opine on the subject over what you believe is right or wrong. Legal answer is yes, it can be done. Period.

This was an old post, and the OP never got an answer to her question. I provided that. No further need to post except to harp and opine.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 5231 times