17 year old wants what he wants; And he doesn't go to school (FL)

This is a discussion on 17 year old wants what he wants; And he doesn't go to school (FL) within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; Florida: Since the divorce, 10 yrs ago, my ex and I have battled. I had residential custody, but he had ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Sad Mom in Florida

Unhappy 17 year old wants what he wants; And he doesn't go to school (FL)

Florida: Since the divorce, 10 yrs ago, my ex and I have battled. I had residential custody, but he had liberal visitation and paid CS regularly. Child has been in trouble for last several years. This year, a junior in HS, he started skipping more and more and got involved in drugs (again). We fought and he went to live with his Dad. I have not seen him in 3 months, he doesn't return my calls. And he doesn't go to school. Father and his attorney are dragging this out, threatening but not really wanting to go to court, asking for child support that I cannot afford. In the meantime, the child is sitting home every day. Note: the father is less mature than the son, and cannot even make his own decisions, let alone wise decisions for a 17 yr old. Do I have any rights? I don't care where he lives, but I would like to see him, and I definitely want him in school.
Sponsored Links
Criminal law issues? Contact leading defense lawyers now! Free immediate consultation!
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member
spinmaster61's Flag is: United States

Smile re: 17 year old wants what he wants; And he doesn't go to school (FL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Mom in Florida View Post
Florida: Since the divorce, 10 yrs ago, my ex and I have battled. I had residential custody, but he had liberal visitation and paid CS regularly. Child has been in trouble for last several years. This year, a junior in HS, he started skipping more and more and got involved in drugs (again). We fought and he went to live with his Dad. I have not seen him in 3 months, he doesn't return my calls. And he doesn't go to school. Father and his attorney are dragging this out, threatening but not really wanting to go to court, asking for child support that I cannot afford. In the meantime, the child is sitting home every day. Note: the father is less mature than the son, and cannot even make his own decisions, let alone wise decisions for a 17 yr old. Do I have any rights? I don't care where he lives, but I would like to see him, and I definitely want him in school.
I do know in florida age 16 child can at age 16 withdraw with parents permission.And school is vital to his success.My daughter in 11 wanted to drop i said no.She will graduate this year.As far as drugs that is a cat and mouse game for kids.If you will. Catch me if you can.Make him drug test hair folicle drug test he can't beat. and it covers last three months. The urine test has to many ways to fool it.It sounds like he would rather be with x because he can manipulate acordingly.Unfortunately it sounds like more court action.I know in this county in florida if a child is on drugs and you test them and its positive.a JUDGE can and will order them into drug court and then make them go to school alot of parents do that to gain control of an out of control child on drugs.check in your county if they do that make him go to school .It sounds a little like you made it to easy for him and you .GREAT LUCK.
spinmaster61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #3

Default re: 17 year old wants what he wants; And he doesn't go to school (FL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Mom in Florida View Post
Father and his attorney are dragging this out, threatening but not really wanting to go to court, asking for child support that I cannot afford.
Ah. So when the child is with you, support should be paid. But when the child is with the father you think you have no financial obligation?
All too typical...
tbyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jan 7th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member
spinmaster61's Flag is: United States

school.

Last edited by spinmaster61; Jan 7th, 2009 at 11:27 PM.
spinmaster61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jan 8th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #5
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbyte View Post
Ah. So when the child is with you, support should be paid. But when the child is with the father you think you have no financial obligation?
All too typical...
It's not like that. I stayed in the house and worked hard to support and maintain it ALONE because we agreed it would be best for the child NOT to be uprooted at that time. I didn't mind giving up luxuries for the past ten years. Now I cannot sell the house, because there are no buyers, but I still have to support it and maintain it and pay taxes and insurances. So, no, I cannot afford more. Plus, I lost my job last year, and have been forced to take a job at 30% less than what it was. I don't want the child to do without, but I do want him to go to school and be responsible.

Old Jan 8th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #6
Top Level Member
Gbyte's Flag is: United States

tbytes a total jerk. He doesn't get it. You need to ignore him completely!!!!

He will NEVER understand....no common sense, no compassion, empathy or ANY form of understanding. No situation - and no MOM can be different than his ex and are all judged the same. Can't get him to see the light of day. He'll be a pig forever at this rate....though I still hold out hope.

I wish I had good advice. He's so close to 18. Send him miss you cards. Don't act all weepy, preachy or write long messages. Make sure they are goofy, could make him laugh, say Hope you are well! I love you and I miss you! Hope to hear from you when you are settled!

If he does call...don't preach, judge or interrogate (sp?). Just ask how he is...state you miss him and love him...hope he's well...made any new friends?? etc.
Gbyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jan 8th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #7
Top Level Member
Gbyte's Flag is: United States

Oh...on child support...state you are still supporting the "family home" and therefore are unable to provide much at this time. If the ex gets "primary custody" and therefore child support...it would only be for a couple of months.

Think though of any money you spent in cloths and food for your son. If you could even voluntarily provide $40 a week (at least half of the support you were recieving if possible)...it would help. And show good faith to your ex...AND your son.

Last edited by Gbyte; Jan 8th, 2009 at 09:09 PM.
Gbyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jan 8th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #8

I fully understand that this woman is in the exact same situation most divorced men find themselves in. Which is more than you are capable of understanding, GByte.

Old Jan 8th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbyte View Post
Oh...on child support...state you are still supporting the "family home" and therefore are unable to provide much at this time. If the ex gets "primary custody" and therefore child support...it would only be for a couple of months.
Incorrect advice from GByte again.
He could (and should) be entitled to child support retroactive to the date he filed with the court.

Old Jan 9th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member
lori509's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbyte View Post
tbytes a total jerk. He doesn't get it. You need to ignore him completely!!!!

He will NEVER understand....no common sense, no compassion, empathy or ANY form of understanding. No situation - and no MOM can be different than his ex and are all judged the same. Can't get him to see the light of day. He'll be a pig forever at this rate....though I still hold out hope.

I wish I had good advice. He's so close to 18. Send him miss you cards. Don't act all weepy, preachy or write long messages. Make sure they are goofy, could make him laugh, say Hope you are well! I love you and I miss you! Hope to hear from you when you are settled!

If he does call...don't preach, judge or interrogate (sp?). Just ask how he is...state you miss him and love him...hope he's well...made any new friends?? etc.
My simplistic insight? This is brilliant advice....

one easy last thought; I know it's in mom's nature to worry but don't worry too much. Life has expectations of all of us (including our kids) and at the end of the day we live up to them. As crazy as the issue right now may seem ...no one; no where gets anywhere without a HSD... so now.. or later? he'll get one - life demands it. Can I be forward by saying that many mother's when kids get at this age are wondering what the heck he (or she) is doing with their life... it's pretty common. But it's a roller-coaster for every parent... (at least in my experience)
lori509 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 1936 times