WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Child Custody & Support > Child support question: How do they figure into how much they make you pay?

Child support question: How do they figure into how much they make you pay?

This is a discussion on Child support question: How do they figure into how much they make you pay? within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I just have been summons to court to pay child support for a 16 yr old i never knew i ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 04:03 AM   #1

Unhappy Child support question: How do they figure into how much they make you pay?

I just have been summons to court to pay child support for a 16 yr old i never knew i had..He is now for some reason in state custody and it reads him vs me,could they have taken him awy from her..they want retribution from when he went into states custody back in january of this year and want me to start paying support...i called the firm and a lady asked if me and this girl was ever married?,No.She asked if she has ever tried to call me?,"no".. she was shocked and said when i go to court,ask for a DNA test..the thing is i have no money for a attorney,we make it each week check to check..i have been married for the past 10 years and have a 10 yr old..also i havent been eating/sleeping the past two days.i'm scared i'll lose my house,car and truck,go to jail,ect..how do they figure into how much they make you pay?
Help!!

Last edited by Tennoutdrsman; Nov 15th, 2008 at 04:06 AM.
Tennoutdrsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Doing business in China? Need legal help or advice? Contact our international and Chinese lawyers 24 hours! WORLD Law Direct offers an experienced team of American and Chinese legal professionals.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 04:54 AM   #2
Unregistered

Default re: Child support question: How do they figure into how much they make you pay?

how do you not know about the child? how can they summons you to court if they dont have proof -- such as your name on the birth certificate -- of you being the father?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 05:46 AM   #3
Unregistered

Default re: Child support question: How do they figure into how much they make you pay?

Thats a good question..did she put my name on it?i was NEVER informed of when it was born or she was pregnant..when i called yesterday the dist attorney,they asked if i knew a girl by this name,i said no,then they said her maden name and i knew it,but i hadnt seen her in well about 16 17 years..i guess she never wanted me to know she was pregnant and had the child with out me knowing..

Old Nov 15th, 2008, 09:22 AM   #4
Top Level Member
Gbyte's Flag is: United States

If it's any consolation, they'll go after her for child support too.

You really ought to figure out how to get a DNA test done. Preferrably with HER paying for it. You should be able to represent yourself. Is the hearing at the child support agency or the court house?

If it's at the child support agency I think after they make their determination, you have a set amount of days to appeal it if you don't agree.

Though this is a shock...maybe if this child knew you, he/she would never have gotten in trouble. MAYBE, if this is your child, you should attempt contact. MAYBE you could change a life! This could be a chance to make a big difference in the life of a child just before he/she enters adulthood. Think about it.
Gbyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Nov 15th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #5

its at the juvenile courthouse...Yes,maybe the kid is "lost" and needs a better parent..But what would it cost for me to get him in custody?Like i say,i'm barely making it..

Old Nov 15th, 2008, 12:03 PM   #6
Top Level Member

That...I don't know. But you after you know for sure if you are the father, try to start making contact. It could make a WORLD of difference even saying, "I didn't know you existed" and giving him her a hug (then keeping in touch in some fashion if you or the child decide not to take it much further).

If you are the father...child support WILL start. There is no way around it that I can think of. It would likely take a bit for you to retain custody if you decide to do so, then of course the cost of raising the child would be as much/more than the support you pay the state. You should start making adjustments to your life now to prepare.

Old Nov 15th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #7

Do they just say "ok gimme this much"or do they look into what i'm doing now,having a family,raising my son,house note,car truck,ect..how does that go?

Old Nov 15th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #8
Top Level Member

They will take into account incomes and costs (associated with the child in question - first child born to the parent gets first priority in costs). Not to my knowledge normal expenses that you incur.

as you likely have no idea what the mom makes....it'd be hard to figure out. I know when kids go into state care that both parents are required to pay child support.

Crazy situation for you eh.

Old Nov 15th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #9
Top Level Member

Oh...it will take a bit to implement too. So it's not like you'll immediately loose a certain dollar amount the day you enter court. Do request DNA testing. I'm not sure who would pay for it, but you need to request it. You'll likely be given some time to complete the testing and pay (if they require you too). Not familiar too much with paternity testing. Once your "established" as the father if that is the case-you may immediately go into arrears. Anyone else more familiar with this aspect?

Old Nov 15th, 2008, 03:22 PM   #10

Thanks!I have been wondering why he was taken away from her...and i was afraid they'd take my house,car,ect or worse throw me in jail,but like my wife said "why would they do that?You wouldnt be able to pay anything if they did that.." yeah its crazy..

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 1594 times