Can I go after my father for back child support?

This is a discussion on Can I go after my father for back child support? within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; I am 30 years old and have recently found my father anyways i was wondering if I may go after ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #1

Question Can I go after my father for back child support?

I am 30 years old and have recently found my father anyways i was wondering if I may go after him for back child support seen as the lazy ass jailbird bum had chose his drugs and friends over helping my mom out with me

My parents are divorced.

If I can then how many years an I entitled too?

If not oh well I tried.
Calender Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #2
LUISA

Default Re: Can I go after my father for back child support?

I AM 24 YEARS OLD ALREADY I FILED A CASE TO MY FATHER LIKE PATERNITY CASE AND WE DID SOME DNA TESTING AND WE FOUND OUT JUST LAST YEAR THAT HE IS MY REAL FATHER AM I ABLE TO ASK FOR A WAY BACK CHILD SUPPORT SINCE HE ABANDONED ME AND HE DIDNT SEND ME EVEN SINGLE MONEY?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUISA View Post
I AM 24 YEARS OLD ALREADY I FILED A CASE TO MY FATHER LIKE PATERNITY CASE AND WE DID SOME DNA TESTING AND WE FOUND OUT JUST LAST YEAR THAT HE IS MY REAL FATHER AM I ABLE TO ASK FOR A WAY BACK CHILD SUPPORT SINCE HE ABANDONED ME AND HE DIDNT SEND ME EVEN SINGLE MONEY?
No. You cannot do that. He did not even know he had a child (legally) until last year. Children can't apply for child support anyway. Only mothers and fathers can do that. But in this case, neither you or your mother can do so.

Stop being a greedy, self entitled brat and grow up.

You're not complaining that he didn't "even try to be in my life" all those years. All you're complaining about is he didn't "send you even single money". You must be a female.

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Unregistered

Thumbs Down Re: Can I go after my father for back child support?

How extremely rude you are... you must be female? You gotta be kidding me.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member
grim509's Flag is: United States

Ignore the previous two posters. They are as incorrect as they are insulting.

You are indeed entitled to file for back support. When a custodial parent files for support, they are not filing for themselves. They legally file on BEHALF of the children, which yes, means the children are entitled to the support, not the parent.

However, if your mothers never filed for support, it may be hard to get any, as it wouldn't be considered "back support." Each state varies on that factor. Some states will not award back support upon the initial filing, some do.

Speak with a family law attorney in your respective states. Many offer free consultations, and they will be able to tell you wether or not your state would award any money.
grim509 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jun 19th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Forum Administrator

Please everyone, follow our forum rules and avoid overall rude behavior, threatening other members and name calling.

Thank you!

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now! Click Here
Find Legal Forms for All 50 States
forum_admin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jun 19th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #7
santiagodmerric's Flag is: United States

He's still your father, don't hold on your grudges.
santiagodmerric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jun 20th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #8
Unregistered

I think I hear a baby crying to his mother.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Dec 2nd, 2013, 06:58 PM   #9
SLM13's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No. You cannot do that. He did not even know he had a child (legally) until last year. Children can't apply for child support anyway. Only mothers and fathers can do that. But in this case, neither you or your mother can do so.

Stop being a greedy, self entitled brat and grow up.

You're not complaining that he didn't "even try to be in my life" all those years. All you're complaining about is he didn't "send you even single money". You must be a female.
I am a female, and I am def. not greedy. My dumbass "so called" father has never been in my life never once tried to find me! I tried to find him when I was 17 years old because my mother ran across his mothers page on fb, and she told my mom that I wasn't his child and that she wanted nothing to do with me till there was a paternity test. Well I then added and talked to my uncle who accepted me into the family when I finally met my uncle he said that I look just like my "so called" father, and that I also looked like my cousin, his daughter!!! Finally Reggie, my "so called" father made a fb and tried too add, and talk to me. I added him and I talked to him. He said for me not to listen to his mother she didnt like him and that he never once denied me and for months he was talkin on fb about how god brought his "baby girl" back to him and blah blah blah, well then I guess it hit him and he said that he did deny me and wanted nothing to do with me untill there is a paternity test and that he was going to get an attorney (which didn't happen). Months later he contacted my cousin and told her he might be moving back to Illinois and that he wanted a relationship, I told him it was fine as long as he knew that anytime he wanted to see me my mother would be with me whether he liked it or not and he surely didn't like it and said hee could never be friends with my mom and it was done from there he called me a lieing ***** and said my mom filled my head with too many lies, she never once lied to me nor kept the fact that he was my father and he swears up and down that she did. I have a dad and if my mom wanted to keep it she surely could have ..;.But...she didn't!!!! These people are NOT greedy, you have NO IDEA what their stories with their fathers are! So before you go calling people greedy maybe find out the situation first, I too am looking to get my "so called" father for back child support. Even if i had a relationship with him i would have then too also looked for getting him for child support! I am sorry but if you want to have a relationship with your children then don't be a ****ing DEAD BEAT! And thats all hes ever been to me or my lil brother, which i didn't meet till i was 17 and he was 13!!! Do you really think i wanted to meet my lil brother at 17 ....ahhh NOO I wanted to have a relationship with my brother and now hes getting into trouble and **** and I can't help but to feel like it's my fault cause his older ****ing sister was never there to help him through anything! So excuse me for wanting to ****ing MEET my "so called" father and maybe just maybe have a ****ing relationship with him!!! Which didn't ****ing happen I am now 19 and live in milan ill. and he lives in colona do you think he even tried to contact me? Ya.....NOT!!!! He's a ****ing dead beat and he deserves to pay his ****ing back child support no matter what anyone else says. I'm sorry but you have NO ****ing idea what we have been through with our "SO CALLED" ****ing fathers!!!!! So maybe before you talk **** about someone you don't even ****ing know you'll think twice!!
SLM13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 5124 times