Signing over Parental Rights/ Custody Court Case

This is a discussion on Signing over Parental Rights/ Custody Court Case within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; My ex-husband wants to sign over his parental rights of our two children in our up coming custody court case. ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #1
Unregistered

Confused Signing over Parental Rights/ Custody Court Case

My ex-husband wants to sign over his parental rights of our two children in our up coming custody court case. I want to know if by doing this he no longer has to pay child support and if that is the case is he still obligated to his arrears. If he will still have to pay what would the benfits be for me, as he very seldomly pays anyway.
Sponsored Links
Criminal law issues? Contact leading defense lawyers now! Free immediate consultation!
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 11:49 PM   #2
tbyte

Default re: Signing over Parental Rights/ Custody Court Case

He cannot sign over his rights unless you are remarried and your husband agrees to adopt your children and assume financial responsibility for them.
Frankly, the State's interest lies not in your welfare, nor that of the children, but in making sure that the State does not have to support the children. So your current husband would have to agree to be on the hook for child support if you current marriage breaks up.
Your ex would probably still be obligated to pay back support, unless he negotiates this away in return for giving up his rights.l

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #3
Unregistered

To be honest with you I think it's pretty sad that you would allow someone to sign over their rights and still make them pay for a child they don't ever see just because you have become use to the extra income. I am a single mom and I make it without the child support and without the contact of my ex-husband. My mom did this same thing to my dad and when I was 21 and finally found him it literally sickend me that he paid all that money and never saw me... just thinking it's rather selfish on the mother's end.

Old Jan 4th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #4
Top Level Member
Gbyte's Flag is: United States

Old post - BUT It takes two to create a child. If a father chooses NOT to be involved in a childs life why should the entire financial burden of raising them lay on the mother - who likely makes less money.

That's just RUDE!
Gbyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jan 4th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member
spinmaster61's Flag is: United States

Thumbs Up re: Signing over Parental Rights/ Custody Court Case

Personaly i dont think anyone should be permitted to sign over any rights of parental nature.Except unless it is in best intrest of the child.Simply to avoid child support i don't think so. Any law that permits that without holding the parent acountable ''BABY'' should be changed.
spinmaster61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 12:39 PM   #6
Unregistered

Angry re: Signing over Parental Rights/ Custody Court Case

I want my ex to sign off his rights to our two children. He molested them, then fled the country before he could be investigated. I have been thru the police, counseling, DSS, everything by myself with the kids. He now does not pay support, nor has he seen them or attempted any contact for a year. why shouldnt I expect to take his rights away??? I know he is in Australia, know his email address, and where his parents live(same town as me). He dare not come back here, or face CSC charges, and facE a very long term prison sentence.

To the other posters who dont understand why someone should collect support on a parent even though they didnt see you...that has NOTHING to do with it. It all has to do with the burden having been on one parent to raise you. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to understand that.

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 09:24 PM   #7
Unregistered

Removed by moderator.

Last edited by tbyte; Feb 1st, 2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Stupid.

Old Jan 31st, 2009, 10:22 PM   #8

Question re: Signing over Parental Rights/ Custody Court Case

It should be any mother or fathers joy to raise there children,and in this world alot of parents what extra money to help pay there bills,,what do you think about a parent cutting you out of the childs life,and blocking family numbers so you can't call,and then 9 years later takes you to court for child support,and theres no repercussions and against the one who would'nt let you see the child? Plus if you have not seen your children in years and the mother/father wants to give up there rights buck up raise the children you love so much with out the other that way you don;t cause mental problems for the child.
dreammaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Feb 1st, 2009, 12:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member
lori509's Flag is: United States

"He cannot sign over his rights unless you are remarried and your husband agrees to adopt your children and assume financial responsibility for them..."

this is a drum I keep hear playing over and over in these threads... Which creates a problem with me. I know a man who has full rights of his daughter, Dad has complete custody... Mom had to ask the court for the right to see child. (She was allowed two hours a month by the court) She pays child support but Mom has no legal rights over the child (not one) and Dad never remarried, and Dad never had anyone else adopt the child...

perhaps it depends upon the situation?
lori509 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Feb 1st, 2009, 10:35 AM   #10
Top Level Member
Gbyte's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I want my ex to sign off his rights to our two children. He molested them, then fled the country before he could be investigated. I have been thru the police, counseling, DSS, everything by myself with the kids. He now does not pay support, nor has he seen them or attempted any contact for a year. why shouldnt I expect to take his rights away??? I know he is in Australia, know his email address, and where his parents live(same town as me). He dare not come back here, or face CSC charges, and facE a very long term prison sentence.
You should probably be able to get his rights revoked in a case such as this. Consult with an attorney - or go to the ask an attorney site on this board ($10 I think). They may be able to give you guidance. If anything - you should be able to get a parenting order with you as sole custodial and no visitation for father (which seems kind of irrelevant since he's not around).
Gbyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 23181 times