Does child support stop at 18 year old student

This is a discussion on Does child support stop at 18 year old student within the Child Custody & Support forum, part of the FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY category; My x is threatening to stop paying child support when my daughter graduates high school this june. She is 18. ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #1

EEK! Does child support stop at 18 year old student

My x is threatening to stop paying child support when my daughter graduates high school this june. She is 18. She is going to college in August. He feels once she is out of high school he no longer has to pay, is this true? Divorce was granted in VT which defines its state as "farm" and at the time, 12 years ago, they did not recognize college. I can not believe he has the right to stop paying.
marisa271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Doing business in China? Need legal help or advice? Contact our international and Chinese lawyers 24 hours! WORLD Law Direct offers an experienced team of American and Chinese legal professionals.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #2
Top Level Member
randalljd's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Does child support stop at 18 year old student

It is based on what you court order says but does normally stop when she is an adult unless it specifically covers college.

You can often try to go back and have it modified or adjusted if it does not cover college.
randalljd is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Mar 25th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #3
Unregistered

Default Re: Does child support stop at 18 year old student

Most states can grant the child support to the child if the child shows proof of grades but you would not receive the check.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 10191 times