Left hand turn: Should I take my insurance company to arbitration?

This is a discussion on Left hand turn: Should I take my insurance company to arbitration? within the Car Accident Claims forum, part of the Injury & Worker's Compensation category; I need some help, Please My insureance company said I was about 90% resposible for this accident. I was at ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #1
Unregistered

Confused Left hand turn: Should I take my insurance company to arbitration?

I need some help, Please

My insureance company said I was about 90% resposible for this accident.

I was at a traffic light trying to make a left hand turn, I had a solid green light. The other driver had his right turn singal on and was in a turning and was in the a turning lane.

When I saw this I proceded to make my turn, the person that was in the turning lane veered off and went straight. This is when the colliision occured.
When making a right at this intersection you must be in the turning lane. If you go up to the intersection you must go through it (there is also a curb that directs you to the right, Am I painting a pretty good picture?).

My insurance comany says that I am at fault, since he had the right of way in the turning lane I should have been aware that he was going to veer off and go straight. I do not see how this could be possible, if he is in the turning lane with his singal on.

I also was told that a green singal means that I must yeild to all on coming traffic. But does on coming traffiic also mean that traffic that is procedding to make a right hand turn.

I would like to know if I really am at fault?

I would like to know if I should take my insurance company to arbitration.

Please Help,
Thanks
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Unregistered

Exclamation re: Left hand turn: Should I take my insurance company to arbitration?

Yes, on a green light you have to yeild to all on coming traffic when making a left hand turn and yes this does mean you need to give the right of way to all people turning right. People turning right are considered on coming traffic. I just looked this up in my state driving book.
-Hope this helps

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Unregistered

Default re: Left hand turn: Should I take my insurance company to arbitration?

First, I think it is illegal to leave a turn lane in many cases. He would have to cross a solid lane line to get into the 'going straight' lane which is, as I understand it, illegal. Second, some states require you to enter the intersection on a green light before turning and some do not. You should look this up as it may help you or hinder you.

Old Jul 14th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Unregistered

Confused Re: Left hand turn: Should I take my insurance company to arbitration?

My husband made a left-hand turn and a motorcylist ran into him. My husband was given a citation, went to court, the charges were dropped and he was cleared. It was determined that the guy on the motorcycle was speeding. Our insurance company still says it was my husband's fault and is still paying the motorcyclist for "injuries" he received. Our insurance went up and will stay up for 5 yrs. Go figure!

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 4166 times