WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW > Buying & Selling Property > Quitclaim Deed: Did we fill out the form incorrectly or are they in error?

Quitclaim Deed: Did we fill out the form incorrectly or are they in error?

This is a discussion on Quitclaim Deed: Did we fill out the form incorrectly or are they in error? within the Buying & Selling Property forum, part of the REAL ESTATE & PROPERTY LAW category; My mother and I purchased a house together and both of our names were on the deed. We filled out ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 08:43 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Quitclaim Deed: Did we fill out the form incorrectly or are they in error?

My mother and I purchased a house together and both of our names were on the deed. We filled out a quitclaim deed to remove her from the deed and add my husband. We only put her name as the grantor and my husband's as the grantee. My name and signature were not anywhere on the document. The register of deed's office removed both my mother and I from the deed and added my husband so now he is the only one on the deed. They refuse to help me correct the issue and said that I need to fill out another quitclaim deed. Did we fill out the form incorrectly or are they in error? I am confused as to how I could be removed from the deed when I did not sign anything!
Sponsored Links
Our lawyers can help you avoid foreclosure to salvage your home, buy time to pay mortgage debts, and resolve your financial troubles. Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default re: Quitclaim Deed: Did we fill out the form incorrectly or are they in error?

You could hold them responsible, but best in any case to get a correct deed filed ASAP.

You don't want an incorrect deed to be there long.

Have a lawyer intervene if need be.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 07:33 AM   #3
Unregistered

Default re: Quitclaim Deed: Did we fill out the form incorrectly or are they in error?

Thank you so much for your advice!

Old Mar 15th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #4
Top Level Member
randalljd's Flag is: United States

Not clear from what you say here--but work with the clerk to get a new deed filed. They are they to help you not complicate things. And you do pay their salary.
randalljd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 11:00 AM   #5
Unregistered

I tried to work with the clerk and she told me that her job is to record what I send her, not to give me legal advice. When I told her that I believe it was recorded incorrectly she just kept repeating that she recorded what I sent her. I am now on the hunt for a lawyer to handle the issue for me!

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:25 PM   #6
Unregistered

Wink re: Quitclaim Deed: Did we fill out the form incorrectly or are they in error?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I tried to work with the clerk and she told me that her job is to record what I send her, not to give me legal advice. When I told her that I believe it was recorded incorrectly she just kept repeating that she recorded what I sent her. I am now on the hunt for a lawyer to handle the issue for me!
Prepare a corrective deed, adding your name as grantee along with your husbands. Indicate in a footnote at the top of your deed, indicating that "This deed is being re-recorded to correct and add a grantee name was omitted from the deed recorded in the Official Records Book _____ and Page ______."

Old Oct 14th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #7
Unregistered

Quote:
My mother and I purchased a house together and both of our names were on the deed. We filled out a quitclaim deed to remove her from the deed and add my husband. We only put her name as the grantor and my husband's as the grantee. My name and signature were not anywhere on the document. The register of deed's office removed both my mother and I from the deed and added my husband so now he is the only one on the deed. They refuse to help me correct the issue and said that I need to fill out another quitclaim deed. Did we fill out the form incorrectly or are they in error? I am confused as to how I could be removed from the deed when I did not sign anything!
qqw

Old Oct 18th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #8
Larry T. Giddens

Quote:
Your mother could only quit claim her part of the property. You did not quit claim your part of ownership of the propety,
therefore you retain your part of the ownwersip.
I would suggest having a new deed prepared by an Attorney with you and your husband as owners but be sure and have a "right of survivorship" clause in the new deed.

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 3733 times