Can US banks legally do this? (bank charged off my checking account)

This is a discussion on Can US banks legally do this? (bank charged off my checking account) within the Other Business & Finance Law Issues forum, part of the BUSINESS & FINANCE LAW category; Last month US Bank charged off my checking account because it was over a thousand dollars in the hole. All ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Unregistered

Default Can US banks legally do this? (bank charged off my checking account)

Last month US Bank charged off my checking account because it was over a thousand dollars in the hole. All charges were because the bank continued to allow crediters to take money out when the account was already negative, then make the companies pay back the money.

After the account was charged off I talked with the head of the bank and discussed payment to pay off the fees. I told him that I would call when I had the money to make payments from my savings account. I told him I would call and authorize each payment.

Went and checked my savings account this morning and found that they have debited 350.72 from my account, which was the balance, to offset the charged off account. They did this without my knowledge or permission. The savings account is not tied to the checking account.

Is this legal?
Sponsored Links
International Law Issues?
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 08:53 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Can US banks legally do this? (bank charged off my checking account)

I wish to inform you that the bank is not supposed to withdraw money from your savings account without your permission. However, while opening your checking account in the checking account application is an item called Overdraft Protection. In this you permit the bank to pay checking overdrafts by advances from other accounts which could include a savings account held with the bank. If at the time of account opening you have given this written permission than the bank can withdraw the money from the savings account otherwise not. Bank can exercise lien over your saving accounts but normally withdraws funds to set off after informing you.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #3
Unregistered

Lightbulb Re: Can US banks legally do this? (bank charged off my checking account)

Well, no. It's not ODP.
When you go.. I believe it is 90 days deliquent...
Banks have the right to take funds from any other account you have.
I've seen it happen many times.
If you owe the money then they will find a way to cut their losses.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 4795 times