Six ways to insure excess deposits

This is a discussion on Six ways to insure excess deposits within the Other Business & Finance Law Issues forum, part of the BUSINESS & FINANCE LAW category; can you offer any other advice here--fairly familiar with this? Six ways to insure excess deposits Thursday September 11, 6:00 ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!


Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 10:26 PM   #1

Unregistered's Avatar
Posts: n/a

Default Six ways to insure excess deposits

can you offer any other advice here--fairly familiar with this?

Six ways to insure excess deposits
Thursday September 11, 6:00 am ET

As consumers continue to be rattled by a seemingly bottomless pit of bad financial news, they're looking for ways to ensure their entire bank deposits are covered by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.
It's not difficult to exceed the $100,000 limit on individual accounts, or the $250,000 limit on certain retirement accounts. In fact, the FDIC says that less than 62 percent of the $6.88 trillion on deposit in FDIC-insured banks was covered at the end of 2007. That leaves more than $2.5 trillion unprotected in the event of bank failures.

Fortunately, there are many ways you can have excess deposits covered, and you should take the trouble to use one of these methods or, through your own research, find other ways. Uninsured depositors receive an average of 72 cents on the dollar when their bank fails. Imagine having excess money in a bank and losing more than a quarter of it. In addition, it can take years for the FDIC to settle a bank failure.

The six examples of excess deposit coverage that we'll highlight here primarily involve accounts at community or state-chartered banks. Some larger institutions carry their own excess deposit insurance, so if you prefer banking at larger institutions, ask if they have it. Companies such as BancInsure and Progressive Casualty Insurance provide excess deposit insurance to financial institutions. Excess share insurance is available to credit unions. But don't assume you're covered -- always ask.

Protect your cash

With $2.5 trillion in uninsured deposits sitting in U.S. banks, millions of people are leaving the security of their savings to chance. Here's how to make sure you don't get stuck with 72 cents on the dollar if your bank fails.

6 ways to cover deposits

1. Depositors Insurance Fund
3. IDC Deposits
4. Wintrust Financial
5. Brokerage accounts

1. Depositors Insurance Fund, or DIF
Believe it or not, back in the 1930s, Massachusetts state-chartered savings banks and state-chartered cooperative banks were prohibited from belonging to the FDIC. Instead, they were required to belong to the DIF, which, back then, functioned under a different name. Over time, the state legislature allowed the state-chartered institutions to also have FDIC insurance. The DIF then became the insurer of excess deposits. Any amounts above FDIC coverage are guaranteed. There are no forms to fill out, and no separate titling of accounts is necessary. The DIF program covers 68 state-chartered savings banks.

The Share Insurance Fund, or SIF, provides the same coverage for state-chartered cooperative banks.

If you don't live in Massachusetts, you're not left out: Many of these banks allow out-of-state accounts.

"The insurance is unlimited, but we don't have $10 million customers," says David Elliott, CEO at Depositors Insurance Fund in Woburn, Mass. "When we look at our profile, it's an amount slightly above the FDIC limit. The customer, whose account started with $90,000 and through interest is up to $125,000, may not even be aware of the fact that the FDIC is insuring the first $100,000 and we're insuring the $25,000 above that."

2. Certificate of Deposit Account Registry Service, or CDARS
If you like the safety and convenience of CDs and you're nearing the FDIC limit, you may want to consider the CDARS program, if your bank offers it.

Funds above $100,000 are deposited in CDs at other banks in the network. The system is supposed to ensure the money is divided among nonrelated banks, but you should check to be certain. If you're wealthy enough, you can insure up to $50 million.

The demand for the CDARS program has grown considerably this summer, according to Mark Jacobsen, president of Promontory Interfinancial Network, the company that created CDARS.
"Since mid-July, we've been doing about twice the business each week as we did in a typical week in January, and about three times the transaction volume we were doing a year ago. Our business in California has skyrocketed. It took us about five-and-a half-years to garner approximately 150 bank charters in California as member of our network. In the 11 days after IndyMac failed, we had requests from 40 different banks."

For a detailed explanation of the CDARS program check out Bankrate's story, "CDARS: Beat the $100,000 FDIC limit."

3. IDC Deposits
Just as the CDARS program divvies your excess funds among CDs at different banks, IDC Deposits does the same with money market accounts. Its network consists of over 250 banks, allowing individuals to have FDIC coverage for up to $5 million in what's called an MMAX account.

Another way MMAX is similar to CDARS is that the interest rate you earn may not be as good as you would get shopping around and placing your funds in various institutions yourself. But there's a huge convenience factor to consider. With both programs you receive one statement and one Form 1099 for tax records.

For example, IDC currently pays banks 2 percent on deposits. The bank you do business with may give you an interest rate of 1.75 percent. That's apparently not stopping people from going with the program.

"We are absolutely seeing an increase in business," says IDC Deposits President Kim Weeks. "I'll be the first to tell you that six months ago, four months ago, it was a tougher sell on the investor side because these are not great rates, and we understand this. But because of everything going on right now, there's a trade-off in the convenience and the assurance that the money is insured."

4. Wintrust Financial
Wintrust Financial is an example of a small group of banks that provide excess coverage. Wintrust is a bank holding company that has 15 separately chartered banks in the Chicago and Milwaukee areas. Wintrust makes its MaxSafe account available to customers of the 15 banks. It allows individuals to insure $1.5 million in CD and money market accounts -- more than $16 million if you're able to title accounts differently.

People from outside the Chicago and Milwaukee can apply for an account at one of the banks, but Wintrust is being cautious for varying reasons, says CEO Edward Wehmer.

"We did a one-week test in Tennessee and Kansas City and it was surprising the number of calls we had. Eventually, there will be online (applications), but we want to be very careful regarding the 'know your customer' rules on the online side of the business, especially with a money market account. Also, we don't have funding needs. This has been a defensive product for us. I'm afraid that if I offer it, I could get $1 billion in deposits and nowhere to go with it."

5. Brokerage accounts
If you have an account with institutions such as Fidelity or Schwab, you can buy CDs at different banks from across the country with the click of a mouse. In addition to the convenience of one-stop shopping, you'll often find yields above the national averages. Be aware that you're responsible for making sure your money is divided among nonrelated banks. For more information on brokered deposits, read "Brokered CDs: What happens if the bank fails?"

The FDIC allows you to insure significantly more than $100,000 if you're able to title accounts separately. For instance, you could have $100,000 covered in an individual account, $100,000 covered in a joint account and $250,000 in a retirement account. For more information on titling see "FDIC insurance now $250,000 on retirement accounts."
  Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #2
Super Moderator
wld_team's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 217

Default Re: Six ways to insure excess deposits

World Law's lawyers could also probably help if need be. You may email them on the home page.
wld_team is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share


This thread has 1 reply and has been viewed 1811 times

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Format Your Messages
Add Forum to Google Toolbar
Forum Jump

Similar Threads

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can insure money comes to me when I turn 18? cbpom Wills, Trusts, Estates 3 Aug 24th, 2011 05:03 PM
187 Premeditated Murder with Excess Use of A Firearm Unregistered Other Criminal Law Matters 1 Jan 2nd, 2011 11:00 PM
adjacent property causing excess costs Unregistered Construction & Renovation 0 Mar 18th, 2008 04:56 PM
I got way more than I ordered, am I liable for excess? Unregistered Consumer Complaints 1 Feb 15th, 2008 06:59 AM
Dr. bill in Excess of reasonable & customary Unregistered Debt Collection 2 Jan 19th, 2008 10:54 AM

Our lawyers can help you avoid foreclosure to salvage your home, buy time to pay mortgage debts, and resolve your financial troubles. Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.