Illinois Barter Agreement Question

This is a discussion on Illinois Barter Agreement Question within the Business Contracts & Partnerships forum, part of the BUSINESS & FINANCE LAW category; An auto repair shop represented one of their customers who had a vehicle for sale. Our nonprofit organization bought the ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #1
Dmommy's Flag is: United States

Question Illinois Barter Agreement Question

An auto repair shop represented one of their customers who had a vehicle for sale. Our nonprofit organization bought the vehicle. It needed repairs so after the purchase the repair shop asked if we wanted to barter. One of our volunteers is a website designer and they wanted a website in exchange for repairs.

The repair shop fixed some things and our organization agreed to pay for some of the repairs, which we did in full. When the repair work was finished, I asked the repair shop to provide a receipt so that our web designer would have a gauge to perform the website work and provide an equal/fair trade.

The repair shop provided me with a receipt for the repairs and:

1. Included the cost for something they didn't fix
2. Included charges for things that they did prior to making the barter offer/agreement (i.e. taking photos of the vehicle and emailing them to me, a service call/pickup they made to the seller's residence a block away and returning it when finished)
3. Added the cost of supplies
4. Added sales tax as part of the total

We're only talking about $500 but they counted every nut and bolt and have basically inflated their share in the first place. Since I know we can't argue those things, am I correct to subtract what they didn't fix? And, can they actually include stuff that they did prior to selling it to us and add supplies and sales tax or can I subtract that as well?
Dmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Our attorneys have years of experience with positive results in the debt reduction / debt relief field. Click here for more information.
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Illinois Barter Agreement Question

I wish to inform you that the bill can contain only the work performed. At present the nuts and bold which were not replaced or work performed before selling cannot be included. You may inform the auto repair shop that the correct amount of bill is the amount due because of repairs that are actually carried. You may then estimate the correct bill and inform other party of the necessary details in this regard. If other party does not resolve the issue then you may file a complaint with Illinois Attorney General or FTC.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jan 11th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Dmommy's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Illinois Barter Agreement Question

Thank you for your response. I am correct in understanding that I can subtract the following from the barter agreement:

1. The charge for something they didn't fix
2. The charges for things that they did prior to making the barter offer/agreement
3. The cost of supplies - I'm thinking gloves, paper towels, etc.
4. The sales tax - Like I said, we're a non profit anyway.

Thanks.
Dmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 797 times