WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > BUSINESS & FINANCE LAW > Business Contracts & Partnerships > Considered as misuse of client data? -- Singapore, the Spam Control Act 2007

Considered as misuse of client data? -- Singapore, the Spam Control Act 2007

This is a discussion on Considered as misuse of client data? -- Singapore, the Spam Control Act 2007 within the Business Contracts & Partnerships forum, part of the BUSINESS & FINANCE LAW category; (Urgent) Hi. I need legal advice regarding this issue. I have an online business and it was affiliated with another ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Closed Thread  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #1
HL19's Flag is: Singapore

Confused Considered as misuse of client data? -- Singapore, the Spam Control Act 2007

(Urgent) Hi. I need legal advice regarding this issue. I have an online business and it was affiliated with another business partner. We were both working on developing a new online platform till we split in April 2011. We were not under any written contract.

While we were working on the online platform together, I provided him with more than 2000 emails. Since our businesses were affiliated, we could get word out to my client base about the new online platform. After the split, the online platform no longer had any more progress.

In late October 2011, the online platform had activity on their Facebook page again, but it was solely to advertise for another business, which belonged to his friend. I suspected that he has given my 2000+ clients' emails to his friend and thus, when I checked with my clients, they have confirmed with me that they have received unwanted emails from his friends' business.

For information, I live in Singapore. In Singapore, under the Spam Control Act 2007, "unsolicited commercial messages will have to carry the label in their subject headings, or be the first words to appear in a message to clearly mark it as an advertisement. Marketers would also have to provide a valid return contact for consumers to send a request to be taken off that mailing or distribution list." I checked, and in the unwanted emails my clients have been receiving, no or a valid return contact was provided.

To further aid in your understanding of this matter, the emails were voluntarily provided to him as it was solely meant for our affiliated businesses. However, the emails have been misused and "sold" or "given" to his friend's businesses, of which I have yet to have established. Thus, my clients are unhappy that they have been receiving a lot of spam from that particular business, as anyone would be. I need to get him/his friend to stop sending these unwanted emails to 2000+ of my clients and thus need to know first if legally, I can actually get him to stop.

Thank you very, very much.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #2
Forum Administrator

Default Re: Considered as misuse of client data? -- Singapore, the Spam Control Act 2007

Duplicate thread. Please go to...

(Urgent) Considered as email spam and misuse of client data?

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now! Click Here
Find Legal Forms for All 50 States

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Closed Thread

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 1 reply and has been viewed 670 times