Can I fire my lawyer? Do I have to take him to court?

This is a discussion on Can I fire my lawyer? Do I have to take him to court? within the Attorneys & Legal Ethics forum, part of the ATTORNEYS, COURTS, LITIGATION category; I have a guardianship case that has taken over 13 months when my lawyer initially told me it would take ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 09:45 PM   #1
Unregistered

Angry Can I fire my lawyer? Do I have to take him to court?

I have a guardianship case that has taken over 13 months when my lawyer initially told me it would take at most 120 days. I have to call him literally 10 times to get him to call me back, and it is usually months in between the times he calls me. I have already contacted the Bar (and I told him I was doing this) to no avail. In 13 months I have only signed 2 documents and he has never asked for anything else from me. I don't think he has done ANYTHING on my case the entire time. Every time I talk to him, he tells me he is sending me paperwork that I never recieve. I paid him $1700 back in March 2007. I am at the point where I am almost willing to fire him and just take the loss, but then there is the principle of the matter. Do I have the right to get my money back since nothing has been done on my case? Do I have to take him to court to get my money back? He is in FL and I am in AZ. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Doing business in China? Need legal help or advice? Contact our international and Chinese lawyers 24 hours! WORLD Law Direct offers an experienced team of American and Chinese legal professionals.
Old Mar 31st, 2008, 11:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member
msgny's Flag is: United States

You can ask for an accounting of time spent and then seek a refund or change to a better lawyer...

Also try calling every day three times a day--it does work with the ones that will not respond. It is a shame you have to do so but it often does work.
msgny is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #3
Max Smith

Default re: Can I fire my lawyer? Do I have to take him to court?

I’m sorry you had such a bad experience with your attorney. Bad service shall cost lawyers!

Old May 13th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Unregistered

Default re: Can I fire my lawyer? Do I have to take him to court?

Iím sorry you had such a bad experience with your attorney. I suggest you place your frank feedback at LawyersReputation.com, a free online directory where companies check feedback on lawyers before making a decision whether to hire them or not. Bad service shall cost lawyers!

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 6968 times