copper theft: is there a possibility of jail time?

This is a discussion on copper theft: is there a possibility of jail time? within the Arrests, Searches, Seizures forum, part of the CRIMINAL LAW, ARRESTS, TRAFFIC TICKETS category; i wanted to know if theres a possibility of jail time. a buddy and i went to a house being ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 05:09 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default copper theft: is there a possibility of jail time?

i wanted to know if theres a possibility of jail time. a buddy and i went to a house being remodeled, i dropped him off in the drive way, he went inside and took some old copper tubing that had been replaced. he called me to come back to the driveway and pick him and the copper up. so i pull up and he loads it in my cars trunk. just as we were leaving a lady stopped by and asked if we were working there and we said no, were having car troubles then we left. we went to the scrap yard and turned it in. i ended up using my ID to fill out paper work for the copper,we got about $275 for it and split the money, a few hours later i get a call from my mother saying the police were at her house and wanted to talk to me about some copper. so i havent called them back yet and dont have the money for a paid attorney. but wanted to get some advice on what i should do first. is there a possibility of jail time for that ammount of copper being taken? and is this considered a felony or a misdermenor?
Sponsored Links
Forming an off-shore company? We can assist you in forming your company in 40 countries worldwide.
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 05:28 AM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: copper theft: is there a possibility of jail time?

Form the facts it could understand that you can be charged with the offence of theft. The crime of theft involves unlawfully taking the property of another person with the intent to permanently - or even temporarily - deprive that person of the property. You have taken the copper without the consent of the owner. Owner might have complained to the police, that is why they have come to your home. While a theft can result in a misdemeanor charge, depending on the facts and circumstances surrounding the case, there are many instances where theft results in a felony charge, which is much more serious, as the potential penalties and consequences, are more severe than for a misdemeanor conviction. Whether a theft results in a felony or misdemeanor charge can depend on your criminal background. For instance, if you have no prior criminal convictions, you have a better chance at being charged with a misdemeanor rather than a felony. If you already have had multiple theft convictions, however, you risk a distinct possibility of being charged with a felony.
Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Dec 1st, 2010, 05:51 AM   #3
Unregistered

Default re: copper theft: is there a possibility of jail time?

ive never had theft charges. im on probation for fighting charges currently but thats it and ive been payin on my fines and reporting to probation like i should be. if i call them are they goin to want me to go to there station ? its about 1 1/2 hr drive away. and if so ill probley be put in jail, right? reason i ask is i dont want to drive there myself and have my car get impounded if so. ill own up to what i did, but dont want to make it any worse then it has to be

Old Dec 1st, 2010, 04:35 PM   #4
lawcastle's Flag is: United States

View Member's Twitter Profile
Default Re: copper theft: is there a possibility of jail time?

To determine the worst case scenario you should go to your state legislature's web site. There you can find your state's statutes. You can search the statutes to find the provisions relating to theft offenses. Generally, the severity of the theft offense is determined by the value of the material stolen, whether force was used, etc.

Another consideration, however, is that your friend entered anther's dwelling to perpetrate the crime. This factor will likely elevate the crime from a theft offense to a burglary crime or a breaking and entering crime, based on the state statutes. Burglary and B&E are almost always considered felonies. Based on the facts you presented (i.e. you drove him to the site, waited for him, took the copper to the junk yard) you would be considered an accomplice punishable to the full extent of the burglary or B&E crime as your co-conspirator, even though you did not actually enter the house.

These crimes are serious. If you cannot afford an attorney, you should contact a legal aid office in your area.*

Best of luck

*not intended to be legal advice
lawcastle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Dec 10th, 2010, 01:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you live in CT you will get away scott free. My husbands brother got caught red handed in the act by the cops and he got conditional discharge for 2 years. Meaning he cant get into any trouble of any kid. well he got arrested for no registration, no insurance misuse of plates and he still didnt get in trouble. . And he has a record
waiting for justice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jan 20th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #6
Unregistered

You need to go to jail...theft is theft. If its not yours dont take it! I am SICK of people like you getting away with stealing from vacant houses.
You are a criminal!

Old Aug 4th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #7
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You need to go to jail...theft is theft. If its not yours dont take it! I am SICK of people like you getting away with stealing from vacant houses.
You are a criminal!
Your pathetic, don't assume people are lying this guy sincerely says he didn't know what was going on or that he was doing anything wrong at the time, he is in need and your being a deuchbag, malice people like yourself running around all paranoid that people are lying or covering the truth is the reason for the worlds decay... **** off and rot in hell, become optimistic or get the **** off my planet

Old Aug 4th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #8
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i wanted to know if theres a possibility of jail time. a buddy and i went to a house being remodeled, i dropped him off in the drive way, he went inside and took some old copper tubing that had been replaced. he called me to come back to the driveway and pick him and the copper up. so i pull up and he loads it in my cars trunk. just as we were leaving a lady stopped by and asked if we were working there and we said no, were having car troubles then we left. we went to the scrap yard and turned it in. i ended up using my ID to fill out paper work for the copper,we got about $275 for it and split the money, a few hours later i get a call from my mother saying the police were at her house and wanted to talk to me about some copper. so i havent called them back yet and dont have the money for a paid attorney. but wanted to get some advice on what i should do first. is there a possibility of jail time for that ammount of copper being taken? and is this considered a felony or a misdermenor?
Yes, theft is theft. The penalty will depend upon your state's laws. More information needed.
Friend In Court is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 3210 times