How do I reverse an adoption or is it possible?

This is a discussion on How do I reverse an adoption or is it possible? within the Adoption Issues forum, part of the Other Family Law Matters category; Hello. I live in Alabama. I married a woman who had a 4 year old daughter. I adopted her at ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 04:59 PM   #1
Unregistered

Red Face How do I reverse an adoption or is it possible?

Hello. I live in Alabama. I married a woman who had a 4 year old daughter. I adopted her at my wife's suggestion thinking the marriage would last happily ever after. It only lasted 2 years and I have been having to pay Child Support for about 4 years now. I do not consider the child to be my daughter - the marriage didn't last long...yet here I am paying for it! I guess my questions are: Can I reverse the adoption? I am not sure that the adoption process was done properly either. The natural father was not contacted...but an ad was ran in the newspaper in the county or city in which he resided or was thought to reside. He has had nothing to do with the child at all from birth. I have not missed a payment and have been very nice in regards to telling others about the divorce. I just tell them that it didn't work out...or life happens. She, on the other hand, has been malicious and hateful - telling lies left and right,slandering - even bragging about the child support she is getting out of me(and this is 4 years later). She works for a lawyer and has a connection at the Courthouse here..and I have learned recently that she is using her connections and maybe her job too to find out what is going on with me--she used her connection at the courthouse to pull up my current physical address and also traffic violation history...is that legal? I am currently in-between jobs-trying to get an Ebay business going..yet I do what I have to do to make sure she is paid. She has a boyfriend and may have plans to remarry--he has even tried to talk her into doing away with the child support so they can move on with their relationship--yet she is VERY PROUD that she stuck it to me and is getting her child support payments. Also--does anything happen if she remarries? If she does marry and the guy wants to adopt her....then that would free me out of the adoption correct? I hope they would do that! It would probably be better for the child....Well, I know this is kind of long. I do not have any extra income presently to see a lwayer at this time...I am hoping that one of you will take the time to see if you can help me....Let me know if you need additional information and THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Our attorneys have years of experience with positive results in the debt reduction / debt relief field. Click here for more information.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 09:36 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default Re: How do I reverse an adoption or is it possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hello. I live in Alabama. I married a woman who had a 4 year old daughter. I adopted her at my wife's suggestion thinking the marriage would last happily ever after. It only lasted 2 years and I have been having to pay Child Support for about 4 years now. I do not consider the child to be my daughter - the marriage didn't last long...yet here I am paying for it! I guess my questions are: Can I reverse the adoption? I am not sure that the adoption process was done properly either. The natural father was not contacted...but an ad was ran in the newspaper in the county or city in which he resided or was thought to reside. He has had nothing to do with the child at all from birth. I have not missed a payment and have been very nice in regards to telling others about the divorce. I just tell them that it didn't work out...or life happens. She, on the other hand, has been malicious and hateful - telling lies left and right,slandering - even bragging about the child support she is getting out of me(and this is 4 years later). She works for a lawyer and has a connection at the Courthouse here..and I have learned recently that she is using her connections and maybe her job too to find out what is going on with me--she used her connection at the courthouse to pull up my current physical address and also traffic violation history...is that legal? I am currently in-between jobs-trying to get an Ebay business going..yet I do what I have to do to make sure she is paid. She has a boyfriend and may have plans to remarry--he has even tried to talk her into doing away with the child support so they can move on with their relationship--yet she is VERY PROUD that she stuck it to me and is getting her child support payments. Also--does anything happen if she remarries? If she does marry and the guy wants to adopt her....then that would free me out of the adoption correct? I hope they would do that! It would probably be better for the child....Well, I know this is kind of long. I do not have any extra income presently to see a lwayer at this time...I am hoping that one of you will take the time to see if you can help me....Let me know if you need additional information and THANKS!
why in the world did you adopt this child? THIS CHILD IS YOUR DAUGHTER, AND YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR SUPPORTING HER UNTILL MOM REMARRIES AND HER HUSBAND WANTS TO ADOPT(and btw, mom and stepdad need to be married at least a year before they can even consider a sp adoption).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #3
Unregistered

Unhappy Re: How do I reverse an adoption or is it possible?

I was looking for a non-biased legal answer. Is this site going to be like the AOL news stories..where everyone can post their opinion? I must have misunderstood. I was looking for legal advice.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #4
Unregistered

EEK! Re: How do I reverse an adoption or is it possible?

Can a child divorce its parents? Maybe you should check out Dr Phil. He is on everyday with great advice.

Old Oct 16th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #5
Top Level Member
able1's Flag is: United States

Normally it is very difficult to reverse the adoption once done. A court could allow it but it will take very unusual circumstances. Get legal counsel involed if you try to proceed.
able1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Nov 20th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #6
Unregistered

Angry Re: How do I reverse an adoption or is it possible?

I am also wanting to reverse my adoption but not for the same reasons. I was abused before my adoption and after nothing changed except for the type of abuse!My sister and I went through hell and back, it makes me sick to think those people are on my birth cert.Not everyone has a wonderful experience being adopted. I want to bring to light the people who adopt for the wrong reasons!!!!!!!!!

Old Nov 24th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #7
Unregistered

You could report them to the authorities or even file suit against them??

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old May 7th, 2008, 02:23 PM   #8
Unregistered

I don't know if it applies in all states, but in some states, when you reach the age of 14, you can have your adoption dissolved.

Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 09:12 AM   #9
Unregistered

Confused Re: How do I reverse an adoption or is it possible?

Quote:

my husband and I are going through the same thing with his ex wife, after 2 years of marriage she told him that if he adopted her son that things would be better for them, doing whatever he could to help their situation he did. The papers were signed on June 24, 2005 and August 1 she filed for divorce... we have tried everything that we can and have had no luck. We understand!! Its not that you dont or didnt love that child a man should only have to provide for children that are his!!

Old Mar 30th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #10
Unregistered

Angry Re: How do I reverse an adoption or is it possible?

Quote:
my husband and I are going through the same thing with his ex wife, after 2 years of marriage she told him that if he adopted her son that things would be better for them, doing whatever he could to help their situation he did. The papers were signed on June 24, 2005 and August 1 she filed for divorce... we have tried everything that we can and have had no luck. We understand!! Its not that you dont or didnt love that child a man should only have to provide for children that are his!!

I 100% AGREE WITH YOU!!!! WELL SAID!!! Dealing with it in Memphis, TN as well......

Bookmark & Share

Tags
None

This thread has 42 replies and has been viewed 27938 times