Dhr custody if I get married

This is a discussion on Dhr custody if I get married within the Adoption Issues forum, part of the Other Family Law Matters category; I am 19 years old in Alabama and my gf is as well. She Is in dhr custody living in ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #1
Jkswarrior's Flag is: United States

Default Dhr custody if I get married

I am 19 years old in Alabama and my gf is as well. She Is in dhr custody living in a group home with no hope of getting out. But I have read online that if you are legal age to marry and get married there is no way for dhr to keep u in their custody however she was told if she gets married and leaves they will come arrest her. Does anyone know if dhr could do that or if they could do anything?
Jkswarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Our attorneys have years of experience with positive results in the debt reduction / debt relief field. Click here for more information.
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default Re: Dhr custody if I get married

I wish to inform you that after 18 years of age a person can live as per their wish. You can marry by your will after 18 years of age and can stay together. DHR only consider disabled or elderly adults and this may not apply to you and hence your gf can inform DHR and move out any time. If DHR restricts then court order may be sought that DHR is not allowed to keep the person after 18 years of age.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #3
Top Level Member
sunlover's Flag is: United States

How old is your Gf and what are circumstances that have her in this home
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 9th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #4

My gf is 19 as well her situation is classified and she won't let me discuss it but she is a dependent to dhr they have her in a independent living program forcing her to do stuff she doesn't want if we got married wouldn't that take her dependency to dhr away because as far as I've read she would then rely on me

Old Oct 9th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #5

Thanks for the info affa

Old Oct 9th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #6
Top Level Member
Friend In Court's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkswarrior View Post
My gf is 19 as well her situation is classified and she won't let me discuss it but she is a dependent to dhr they have her in a independent living program forcing her to do stuff she doesn't want if we got married wouldn't that take her dependency to dhr away because as far as I've read she would then rely on me
If she is of legal age for your state, there is good reason she is classified as dependent. It may be because she does not have the mental capacity to live on her own, much less get married. When the state orders dependency it is for good reason. And if you two plan on getting married and the reason for her dependency she wants to keep a big secret, then rethink what this means for the future. Husband and wife should have no secrets from one another and from what you post, this is getting off on the wrong foot from the very start.
Friend In Court is online now   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 9th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFFA View Post
I wish to inform you that after 18 years of age a person can live as per their wish. You can marry by your will after 18 years of age and can stay together. DHR only consider disabled or elderly adults and this may not apply to you and hence your gf can inform DHR and move out any time. If DHR restricts then court order may be sought that DHR is not allowed to keep the person after 18 years of age.

AFF
Not necessarily, AFFA for the reason for the dependency is important. She may be disabled, mentally. The girlfriend will not give the reason why she is in DHR. People ARE kept after 18 years of age -- for good reason.

Old Oct 10th, 2012, 11:32 AM   #8

There are no disabilities or mental illnesses she is a dependent because she turned her mom in to dhr when she was 16 and was taken away as a dependent because she had no where to go

Old Oct 11th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #9
Top Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkswarrior View Post
There are no disabilities or mental illnesses she is a dependent because she turned her mom in to dhr when she was 16 and was taken away as a dependent because she had no where to go
This statement is in direct conflict with your previous statement in your post. "her situation is classified and she won't let me discuss it."

Which is it?

Old Oct 11th, 2012, 08:23 AM   #10

She wouldn't let me discuss it but I was able to say that much there's a lot of small details I can't mention because I'm not suppose to know.

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 1232 times