WORLD Law Direct Forums
Home > WORLD Law Direct Forums > FAMILY LAW, DIVORCE, CUSTODY > Other Family Law Matters > Adoption Issues > Getting a guardianship of children in another state... Should we hire an attorney?

Getting a guardianship of children in another state... Should we hire an attorney?

This is a discussion on Getting a guardianship of children in another state... Should we hire an attorney? within the Adoption Issues forum, part of the Other Family Law Matters category; My husband and I want to try to get a guardianship of our 13 year old nephew and 11 year ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #1
lwp
lwp's Flag is: United States

Default Getting a guardianship of children in another state... Should we hire an attorney?

My husband and I want to try to get a guardianship of our 13 year old nephew and 11 year old niece. The children are both in Delaware with their grandparents right now and my husband and I live in Mississippi. Their parents have been arrested and are going to be in jail for a while. Their grandparents aren't in the best state of health right now, so we are afraid to let the children stay with them for the long term. Is it possible to get most of the paperwork done long distance? Should we hire an attorney in Delaware, where the children have been living or in Mississippi, where my husband and I live? We are so overwhelmed and have no idea where we should even start...
lwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Top Level Member

Default re: Getting a guardianship of children in another state... Should we hire an attorney?

I wish to inform you that court consider best interest of child as main consideration. You can have custody of child in the absence of parents. Courts of the place where the child reside will have jurisdiction. Further, reason for child being in jail will also determine your rights to have custody of children. Once you can show that you can take care of child and that best interest of child will be met then court can permit children to come to your state.

AFF
AFFA is offline   Reply With Quote

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Bookmark & Share

This thread has 1 reply and has been viewed 893 times