Relinquish Parental Rights -- ADHD, Mental Illness

This is a discussion on Relinquish Parental Rights -- ADHD, Mental Illness within the Adoption Issues forum, part of the Other Family Law Matters category; My sons mother sees him five times a year at the most. We can tell it is just a routine, ...

Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Reply  POST NEW QUESTION

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 02:02 PM   #1

Confused Relinquish Parental Rights -- ADHD, Mental Illness

My sons mother sees him five times a year at the most. We can tell it is just a routine, and she has remained uninterested in him since she allowed him to live with his father in 2005. She routinely calls him on Monday afternoons and talks for a couple of minutes or sometimes she lets him go on and on. (He has ADHD) If there is no answer on Monday, she will call back the following Monday. It is easy to see that she just calls so she can say she called. She has never been to any school event and either doesn't pay medical bills or rejects the mail altogether. Child support has not been paid in over a year. There are so many problems with this woman. On a really serious note, everybody that has ever encountered her and has been asked agrees that she is mentally ill. She seems to be both bipolar and schitzo. It seems that she has passed the schitzo disorder to the child. Together, they can be a bad match. He is difficult for adults and children to deal with and it seems that with every visit, he gets worse. She fills his head with lies and ideas that nobody cares about him but her. But he doesn't see, or doesn't show that he sees, that she doesn't even do anything for him, at all.

This is just to sum it up. Does it seem like her parental rights can be involuntarily relinquished on the grounds that she is mentally unstable and it is in the best interest of the child? When we mentioned it to our lawyer, she seemed to just blow it off. We don't know if she doesn't want to do the work or what, but she didn't give it a minute of her time. Please respond. Time is very sensitive. This child really doesn't need to be around any adult like her.
Laura*lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Our lawyers can help you avoid foreclosure to salvage your home, buy time to pay mortgage debts, and resolve your financial troubles. Consult Your Own Personal Lawyer Now!
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default re: Relinquish Parental Rights -- ADHD, Mental Illness

Without knowing your state, I will have to comment somewhat generally. I can say, however, that securing an involuntary termination of parental rights will be extraordinaryily difficult -- actually essentially impossible -- under the facts you have related here. There are such strong due process protections for parents, so in reality you would have to show some incredibly strong grounds for terminating her parental rights. Hope things work out for all involved. AJJ

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old Jul 3rd, 2009, 08:09 AM   #3
Top Level Member
sunlover's Flag is: United States

I would not be making statements of alledged mental illness without a Doctor diagnosing one or both either. If Mom is not calling, seeing etc child then there is not threat just lack of contact. A TPR based on this will not wash in nearly all states/ You can request Mom willingly give up her rights long as Dad has remarried and his new wife willing to adopt. However unless Mom is willing its pointless to pursue
sunlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Jul 13th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #4
Unregistered

Unhappy re: Relinquish Parental Rights -- ADHD, Mental Illness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura*lee View Post
She seems to be both bipolar and schitzo. It seems that she has passed the schitzo disorder to the child.
Wow... I'm not sure if you realize but "schitzo" is not a medical term. Nor it is a term that any mother, biological or not, should be applying to her own child. I'm disturbed by this terminology immensely.

Old Aug 1st, 2009, 09:48 AM   #5
Unregistered

Unless she's been properly diagnosed by a trained professional in the field of psychiatry, you cannot forcibly relinquish her parental rights. Right now it is only your opinion that she is suffering any personality disorder or mental illness. You cannot force her to be evaluated.

On the child support issue, that is something the father needs to get taken care of right away. She should be paying child support.

Old Oct 14th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #6
dlech143's Flag is: United States

Default Re: Relinquish Parental Rights -- ADHD, Mental Illness

It is my experience that people are labeled mentally ill when others want to win a dispute with them. It seems like a bipolar or schizophrenic label trumps all else and the "mentally ill" person is the automatic loser. I blame a lot of what is going on with school shootings in America on the psychiatric labels and overuse of psychiatric medications. Psychiatric medications are dangerous in many ways. America seems to think that ignoring this problem will make it go away. How would you feel if you were as a labeled "mentally ill" person and constantly scapegoated because of a label a psychiatrist used to keep them in work? People labeled "mentally ill" are more bullied than any other group in contemporary America with no one to turn to for justice.
dlech143 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 14th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #7
dlech143's Flag is: United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wow... I'm not sure if you realize but "schitzo" is not a medical term. Nor it is a term that any mother, biological or not, should be applying to her own child. I'm disturbed by this terminology immensely.
The terms schizo is loose terminology. What is particularly disturbing to me is that physical damage is done because of psychiatric medications and most of America is more concerned with what words are politically correct and which are not.
dlech143 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 14th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Top Level Member
Disagreeable's Flag is: United States

Most of the problems in the US have been created as a result of the governments multi-generational infringement into natural selection.

Due to a recent promotion, I should now be referred to as Major Obvious.

I would not be trying to provide information and knowledge if I did not sympathize.

Some days it is just not worth chewing through the restraints to face life.
Disagreeable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Oct 14th, 2013, 11:50 PM   #9
Top Level Member
130smartchick's Flag is: United States

The belief, often held by those least equipped to make the determination, that medications are the biggest problem is a big part of the problem.

My co-workers brother was a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic. When off his meds he often believed he was being chased by an 8 foot tall man. On his meds he was extremely cogent. He decided, while medicated, that the medications were the real problem.

Five days off of them he ran into a busy road and was killed. Witnesses said he was talking about the man following him. There was no one.

Of course medications make it more likely they will have a chance to procreate.
130smartchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookmark & Share

Tags
involuntarily, mother, parental, relinquish, rights

This thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 3824 times